My herptile mini collection

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Kanchii, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

For those of you who don't know, bc I get the question all the time, Herptile's, aka herps, include pretty much your standard creepy crawlies. Spiders, bugs, arachnids, stuff like that. Anyway, here's a pic of my miniature herp collection!

[​IMG]

On the top we have Cornelius, my 1 year old amel cornsnake. He's my baby!
    Then under him, from left to right:
    unnamed pair of Ocala Giant Millipedes. Fred and Wilma my Madagascar hissing cockroaches. Yoku my L2 shield mantis. Bertha my adult budwing mantis. Spike the Destroyer of Worlds, my L4 orchid mantis.

My mom HATES them all except for the mantises. Bwahahaha. I'm terrible offspring...

I don't have individual pics of Yoku, the baby shield mantis bc he's the size of an ant and pretty much too hard to capture with my ghetto camera. But here's pics of the others:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    SMOOSH!....oops!...i think i stepped on one....sorry...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i do like the snake though![​IMG]

4. Kanchii

Nuuu, WILMA! [​IMG]

My mom would love you if you stepped on them

5. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I love them all especially since you have no spiders!! My kids bring me praying mantis(es?) and snakes all the time out here on the farm because they know I love them so.

6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Ohhhhhh........they are awesome!!! And if you weren't too old for him, my 9 y/o would probably want to marry you!!! LOL He has 2 ball pythons, a scorpion, some rainbow colored lizard...and wants more more more......

7. Kanchii

Quote:I'm not big on spiders. They're literally the only type of animal I dont love. And even if I wanted one for some random reason, which I don't, that's one critter my mom would NOT put up with, hah! I'd be kicked out the door in a second!

Quote:LOL how cute. It's not often you find a girl who likes bugs! xD Can't blame him for wanting more, herps are almost as addicting as CHICKENS

8. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    LOL...yes, it is quite rare!!!! All the little girls at school do the "eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww" thing about them. [​IMG] He likes to brag that his mom is soooo cool and loves them just as much as he does. I adore spiders, too, though. [​IMG]

9. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    They are all pretty. I'm shocked at how small that mantis is. I've seen pictures of bigger ones but didn't think the babies would be that small. How hard are the giant millipedes and hissing cockroaches are to feed? There is a pet store around here that have some for sale that I keep thinking that maybe some day would like to get some. I have read up on them before but it's been a few years since I looked them up. My mother-in-law doesn't want any in the house so I have to wait. I did realize something you are missing in that collection and that is a stick insect. Need a spiny leaf to go along with them. Also love the beetle in the bracelet.

10. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

OM GOSH! I am soooo jealous! Ive ALWAYS wanted an orchid mantis! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by