My hives....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SamG347, Feb 12, 2009.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Getting these two Topbar hives from a friend and also a beekeeper. They are kind of like a Topbar x Langstroth...in the fact that they use Lang frames that are modded to allow natural comb....and also are the same width as a lang.
    Here are the pics my friend sent me. Going this weekend to pickup the hives possibly...and just have a good chatt.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    I wanted to start a bee colony, but i dont have the money. Have fun, i like the natural hive instead of the preformed ones.

3. Blueroo63

Blueroo63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    N.Texas
    did you have to buy starter bees or did they just show up .I keep wanting to buy some ,but husband say they will just show up on they're own .

4. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    you will want to buy some, if you buy the pheremones you could attract a colony, but if you dont get those will will need to buy a package

5. HeartLunger

HeartLunger Out Of The Brooder

Awesome and cool idea!

6. Blueroo63

Blueroo63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    N.Texas
    can you recomened a type of bee's and a good supplier thanks glenda

7. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    do you have any local supplier that you could pick them up from, i would contact your local bee club and talk to them, you will learn soo much! and they will probably be ordering soon.

8. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Thanks everyone! These are pics from last summer at my friends place. The hives are now empty.....and I will be getting my bees from Georgia, Hardeemans Apiaries. I will be getting two 3lb packages....1 package per hive. Each package will contain 10,000 bees plus queen.
    [​IMG]

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'd love to get bees. Unfortunately they're not legal in my city.
    Had to laugh, I thought this thread was going to be about skin rash. [​IMG] I suppose that says something about me.
    Imp- scratching

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Nice, how many frames does it take? Are the super that large and if so are they heavy to handle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by