My home 'Cornish Cross' eggs...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by greyfields, Mar 21, 2008.

1. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    ... are in the hatching tray. They should pop with any luck on Sunday.

I have 10 or 12 eggs set which are Dark Cornish X Black Sex Link and Dark Cornish X Freedom Ranger (gourmet black).

I had a humidity issue with the incubator (too high) and I had a really crappy hatch of ducks & geese last week. Let's hope we corrected in time and this hatch goes well.

2. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Be sure and keep us update! I am anxious to see how it goes.

3. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Well I hope you are eager and not anxious!

I'll probably do the next clutch with straight Dark Cornish (I need to upsize my terminal sire) and probably Cornish X Sussex & Cornish X Barred Rock.

The incubator is really full of duck and goose eggs at the moment, chicken eggs will get priority once the waterfowl are finished laying.

4. GwenFarms

Feb 26, 2008
    I'm a little of both actually [​IMG] I have my heart set on trying to raise these myself, but I've been reading some discouraging things, granted most of it is speculation, but all it takes is a seed. The optimist in me says it will be a superior bird, we're going to go with that personality today [​IMG]

I'm particularly looking forward in seeing how the freedom ranger X turns out. I haven't raised Freedom Rangers yet, but I've been looking into the breed and I'm considering giving them a try. I'm hoping your X turns out an even meatier bird quickly with a better quality of life than those other unmentionable crosses. [​IMG]

5. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    4 pips so far... and about 4 ducks and 4 geese as well. I can hear them all already peeping away.

6. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Well at least one chicken has been born. I have no idea which cross it is. Hopefully I can tell by comparison once we get a few more.

7. GwenFarms

Feb 26, 2008
    Thats exciting! Keep the updates coming. Post pics when you get a chance.

8. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Well I have 8 or 9 of the buggers. I'll try to get the picture downloaded tonight. I will need som help with this, because all 8 look different. This is, of course, the result you get breeding hybrids. But, I think there are some trends in their appearance which can be used to separate them.

I had previously bred Cornish to a Barred Rock and Speckled Sussex. To this day, I'm not sure which crosses were which. They did taste great, though.

9. Settin'_Pretty

Settin'_Pretty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    North Georgia
    Quote:Did they have a good size to them and how long did it take them to grow to butcher age?

10. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Best of luck. I purchased Cobb eggs from someone on BYC and have 14 eggs due to hatch in 7 days. Can't wait to try raising my own meat birds for the first time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by