My home grown fryers are way to tough, ideas?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by chickenrunnin, Sep 15, 2009.

1. chickenrunnin

chickenrunnin Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2008
    Roy, Washington
    This is probably a silly post but I am wondering why the fryers we have grown from babies and now are in the freezer are so tough. Every single one that we have cooked have been so hard to eat. The store bought chicken is not that way. I am cooking the same exact way. What could I be doing wrong while raising them?

2. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    how old are they? were they allowed to run around alot and develop big muscles? i think store bought chickens are confined and don't get to move much.

3. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    The crock pot is your friend.

How old were they at slaughter?

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

We gave some people 26 roos the other day that we didn't need and they brought us a dressed bird back. Well, I brined it like I've read on here to do, then cooked it. Well, even my husband couldn't eat it. He said it was too chewy. I don't like chicken anyway and was scared to try it, but I did. It had a great flavor, but not a great texture.

5. ijon1

ijon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    gaines, michigan
    Home grown chickens have more texture than store bought chickens.

6. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    Freshly slaughtered chicken needs to rest in a fridge for up to 48 hours before eating and freezing. I leave mine in overnight and by dinner it is fine.

Chef

7. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    Several things to consider:

*Correct age at slaughter.
    *Protein level of their feed.
    *Confined or allowed to run and play (I keep mine in a range pen so they get the benefit of pasture without running themselves tough and stringy).
    *Calmer and gentler handling/less anxiety for the bird during butchering.
    *Did you let the meat rest a couple of days in the fridge before freezing?
    *Consider brining, which is what they do to store-bought birds--but if all other things are done properly, I find this to be optional.

8. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Store chickens are injected with brine ("up to 10% saline solution" on the label is the clue), did you rest them 24-48 hours or brine them?

What cooking method we talking? dry heat (baking, grilling, frying) can make the meat drier/tougher when chewing.

Not at all a silly post, we want you to enjoy the chickens you raised.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by