My home hatched bantamhens are laying green eggs!!!!Now with PICS!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bossynbella, Mar 1, 2008.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Last year we hatched out some chicks the moms were sebright and old english bantams the father a feather footed mix breed. Today I found two green eggs in their pen. They looked like minature EE eggs. We have one EE hen but she is not in their pen and I know none of them where her babies so what could our rooster have in him that leads to green tinted eggs???

I should of taken pics.... if I find any more I will take pics

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  2. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    [​IMG]
    Sounds like your roo has som EE in him. To have his offspring lay green eggs
    [​IMG]

3. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    The green/blue egg gene is dominant to white eggs shells so if your rooster has this gene his daughters will lay the tinted eggs. Sounds like you have quite the rainbow mix!

Richard

4. bossynbella

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    We got another green bantie egg today and I took pictures this time.
    [​IMG]

The other eggs are Barred Rocks, and Silkies
    [​IMG]

Not as good of a picture but I thought the way the barred rock egg had dried was kind of cool looking. I had just rinsed them off.
    [​IMG]
    We usually just feed the bantie eggs to the cats but I had to save this one!

Oh and here is a picture of the father. He is the one that has to have EE in him because the moms were all OEGB's and Sebrights or a mix of both of those.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  5. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    That lovely green egg looks just like the ones my parents get from their EE mix bantams.

6. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    Friend did anyone tell you not to rinse off your eggs?.

There is a coating that the hens put on them that protects them and if you wash them off you should at least coat them lightly with oil. Most of us do not wash them until we are about to use them. We also leave them on the counter.

Just a suggestion. [​IMG]

7. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    That roo is handsome!
    And the Barred Rock egg looks like it has an embryo silouette!

8. bossynbella

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    We only wash the really dirty ones I didn't want to take a picture of Gross Poopy eggs in the summer they stay clean in the nest but this time of year they go out and track the poop and mud back in from there mucky run. We reuse our cartons so don't want to put eggs in that are too gross.

No green ones today. Seems like only one laying so far.

Chickens are SOOOOOO entertaining you never know what you might find!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by