My home made candler

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SpaceHen, Jan 8, 2013.

1. SpaceHen

SpaceHen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2012
    South Mississippi
    I have been using this candler my husband and I came up with, and I am happy with the results... I have been taking pictures and videos of the eggs I am incubating candled with it. (See thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...st-night-i-can-see-the-babies-d#post_10234589)

Here is how I made mine. It might not look that great and there's room for improvement, but so far so good. I used things I already had around the house, so it was free and recycled.

You'll need:

1 piece of styrofoam at least 2 inches thick for the base
    1 paint roller or other firm tube
    toilet paper
    1 empty PEROXIDE bottle (it's a dark brown color- this is important for focusing the light.)
    1 adjustable flashlight (I use a Mag Lite,)

[​IMG]
    Cut a hole in the styrofoam and place the paint roller inside this. I prefer this as it is 'fluffy' on the outside and does not have a tendency to slide around in the hole.

[​IMG]
    Once that is down inside the styrofoam, you will need to elevate and stabilize the flashlight so it does not move around, either. I put about 2-3 inches of toilet paper in the bottom of the tube and packed it in to make a firm yet soft surface for the flashlight,

[​IMG]
    Place the flashlight in the tube. To keep it from moving around near the top, coil and place more toilet paper around the neck of the flash light,[​IMG]
    Put the peroxide bottle over the flashlight. (Of course you will have it turned on when you candle.) The dark brown bottle is important to not let light escape. The opening of the bottle (with the lid removed, of course) makes an ideal area of light to come out on the egg. (Very bright.)

[​IMG]
    Then it's ready to use! I can use this one handed (of course I always hold onto the egg) but the whole thing is very stable. Focus the light beam to the very brightest for best results. And that's all there is to it! :)

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    That looks pretty cool, Have you thought about lineing the inside of the bottle with aluminum tape or foil to help reflect the rest of the light up to the top / hole.

3. SpaceHen

SpaceHen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2012
    South Mississippi
    Wow, I didn't even think of that. It's worth a try. :)

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    take a few pics of a candle too! cool!!

5. I will have to try that I have the exact same flash light

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by