1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

MY HOME MADE FORCED AIR INCUBATOR

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by zuluchicken, Apr 7, 2015.

1. zuluchicken

zuluchicken Out Of The Brooder

I always wanted to make my own incubator and now the job has been done. It is much more fun than buying one and I wanted to share my experience with fellow BYC members..

The photos will tell the story but here are a few notes.

1. I have cut a donated freezer in half and mounted the top half on a pedestal for easy access.

2. In order to calibrate the thermostat I used an old school min/max thermometer to constantly record the minimum and maximum temperatures over a 24 hour period. I zeroed the instrument every morning during the tests. I also installed an electronic hygro/thermometer and to my delight both constantly recorded the same temperatures.during the 5 day test period, so the old school thermometer can now go back to its place outside our back door.

3. The stones acts like batteries by storing energy (heat). The stones absorbs the heat and helps to stabilize the temperature inside the incubator by releasing the heat again during power outages or when I have to open the door to turn the eggs.

4. The cup filled with water and a sponge helps to keep the humidity at a constant level.

5. I have used the freezer's wiring and control panel and changed the compressor for the 60W globe and a higher calibrated thermostat for the original thermostat. (0C to 40C)

6. I have been running tests for the past 5 days. The temp. varies between 37c and 39c and the RH between 44% to 46%.- all within the acceptable limits.

7. Most of all, I had great fun making the incubator and I am looking forward to August when our breeding season starts here in South Africa. We are going into our winter now and it is too much of a challenge to keep the chickens warm.

ELECTRONIC HYGRO/THERMOMETER
    [​IMG]

DONATED OLD FREEZER
    [​IMG]

FREEZER CUT IN HALF
    [​IMG]

FREEZER MOUNTED ON A PEDESTAL
    [​IMG]

DOUBLE GLASS WINDOW
    [​IMG]

FAN MOTOR AND 60W GLOBE
    [​IMG]

CUP FILLED WITH WATER AND SPONGE
    [​IMG]

THERMOSTAT PROBE
    [​IMG]

OLD STYLE MIN/MAX THERMOMETER
    [​IMG]

ROCKS MAINTAINING THE TEMPERATURE
    [​IMG]

CONTROL PANEL MOVED TO THE TOP LEFT SIDE FOR
    EASY ACCESS

[​IMG]

CONTROL PANEL
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  2. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Very nice and attractive reuse of recycled materials! Let us know how it works.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm truly impressed. Please keep this thread alive as you work through your hatch.

4. zuluchicken

I am using cut out egg cartons to increase the air circulation around the eggs, as can bee seen in the attached photo.
    [​IMG]

I have set the 12 eggs lying on their sides with the sharp end pointing slightly downwards
    [​IMG]

The eggs were candled on day 10 and I found 2 eggs not fertilized which I removed. I continued with the 10 eggs that were good. This morning on day 21 our first chicken arrived. These are Boschvelders, a tough South African breed. They are good layers, disease free and does not need much special food or attention. Lays trough out the year
    [​IMG]

By late this afternoon all 10 eggs have hatched giving me a 100% success rate with my first attempt using my home made incubator.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. thegawd

thegawd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2015
    delete

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  6. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    How big is that bator? You might also want to add some 1/4" hdw. cloth over those shelves, or some shelf liner to prevent chicks from getting legs stuck through the shelf wires. I'd love to see a full pic of your bator, and details about your heat source, location, thermometer, and fan location! I'll be making a fridgeubator when time allows, most likely this winter.

7. gpop1

gpop1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    im impressed great job

8. zuluchicken

There is a lot of photos upstream in this post - a step by step explanation of how I made the incubator. All your questions will be answered there.

Hope it helps but please come back if you need more information

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  9. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Thanks. I just found them.

10. zuluchicken

Not even 24 hours old and they are already feeding and drinking.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by