My Homeless Chicken Shelter For Winter w/ "squatters" :P

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hens & Hounds, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Hens & Hounds

Hens & Hounds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    NJ
    Well I finally went took some pics of the most ugly eyesore in our backyard....is there a coop hidden in there somewhere??? [​IMG]

Fall is winding down & the leaves seem to be almost all down...pond filter will be shut down this weekend & lines blown out & waterfall box drained, filter & pumps cleaned & brought down into basement, etc...

AND, now w/ our first winter w/ chickens we decided to order a heavy duty silver tarp (20x30) I believe it was from a site called Mytarp.com
    That was fun (NOT) trying to hunker that down w/ ropes & in the interim not thinking...since it covers the whole coop which was a kids vinyl sided doll house w/ 3 old fashioned triple track windows, a roof ridge vent & fascia soffit vents.....now I am worried about ventilation as we had to even put old throw rugs on each top corner of the coop so the pointy ridge corners wouldn't put a hole in the tarp [​IMG]

I am keeping a very close eye on the digital thermometer/hygrometer now & have had to open all 3 windows & turn on their fan inside on some warm days we had....I am not going to go through the trouble of going into the garage & changing out the glass top storm door to the screen every time it hits 60 w/ humidity which won't be too much more as the strong NW winds will be blowing soon [​IMG]

Now to add more ugliness we went to Lowe's & purchased 6 mil plastic sheating which is not see through & on the North side of run it is even doubled....we had to drill holes every so many feet in any solid wood item we had laying around & it is Zip Tie Kingdom here now LOL

When we ran out of the sheathing I ran to store & picked up shower curtain liners that were pretty descent & thick...but they are a green see thru color & in the front of run I do cut ties off when warm & then redo them when we are going below freezing which have a couple times already & luckily none of the waters froze yet [​IMG]

Here are the pics from our bedroom window, the front of run (west), the garden side (south), the doubled side (north) & last but not least the cedar woods side(east) which held up goood for our last Noreaster.

Now let's see if that tarp can handle snow like the 36" we got last year![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess it's best to just care about functionality rather than looks.....[​IMG]

2. Hummelhill

Hummelhill Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    Montville, Oh
    I'm confused...why are you enclosing your whole coop in plastic?? I would definitely be concerned about ventilation.

3. dadthebaker

dadthebaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2011
    Los Angeles Area
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Well...just leave a "Suggestions/Complaints" box where the chickens can use it....check occasionally to see if they are not happy! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

that is a HUGE tarp! Wow. My poor babies... they are only getting stacked straw bales on the prevailing wind side. [​IMG]

5. jeff spahn

jeff spahn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    Dubuque, IA
    I insulated their coop when I built it. Perhaps put a couple straw bales on the windward side.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  6. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    That is a huge tarp!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  7. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hens & Hounds :

I guess it's best to just care about functionality rather than looks.....[​IMG]

That's what I keep telling the Ol' Lady! [​IMG]

8. Hens & Hounds

May 11, 2011
    NJ
    LOL The whole thing isn't enclosed & I can flap the 6 mil plastic down from under the silver tarp for airflow when it is not raining/sleeting/snowing. The reason we did this was that we do not have a covered run, well it is partially & even then we noticed that rain still gets all the sand & fuzzy butts all wet [​IMG] so until next Spring when we can redo the whole thing this is what we could afford for now [​IMG]

Quote:

9. Hens & Hounds

May 11, 2011
    NJ
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by