My homemade automatic watercups.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Colored Egg Farmer, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

So i had a few things laying arround and was looking at the mcmurry hatchery book and found there automatic water cups. they were around 66 dollers [​IMG]

So Arielle and I made our own with what was laying around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres a photo. We might be planning on makeing them and selling them so if you want your own keep an eye out on the byc auction threads. the price would be around 30-40 for this model but the price is still estimated atm.

We just made it today and going to do some tests on it to make sure everything works correctly. If this works there will be different model types. This one will be the 2 gallon small flock one.

2. KateBeauchemin

KateBeauchemin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Looks great! When my big barn goes up with the separated pens, i'm wanting to do this also! Excellent!

3. Colored Egg Farmer

It worked perfectly! the chickens only took like 5 mins till they finally decided it would not bit them. and took a drink. I'm working on how i can improve it now to make it expandable etc.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Really cool CEF keep us up dated.

5. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    I can't believe I found this thread tonight! I just looked through the catalog today and actually ripped that picture of their waterer out because I think I can make it. I actually have the picture in my pocket and was going in the morning to get the stuff I don't already have. If you don't mind me asking, did you only use a male fitting in the bucket, or do you have something else to hold it in (caulk, etc.)?

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If you don't mind me asking, did you only use a male fitting in the bucket, or do you have something else to hold it in (caulk, etc.)?

I would guess there is a nut and washer on the inside​

7. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Cef on tiramisu account.

No i only used a 1/4 pipe splice and caucked it in. It works fine and hasn't leaked. The chickens drank the whole 2 gallon bucket in one day so just refilled it today and has had no problem. My new version is going to be posted on byc auctions today Its expandable which the version in this post is not.

8. Colored Egg Farmer

should add that i cut the hole smaller than the pipe so it doesn't fall out at all and i can't even pull it out. The cauck was just htere to make sure if there was any space it was sealed.

9. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    Looks great! wonder if there is a way to keep in from freezing in the winter?

10. Colored Egg Farmer

maybe you could wrap it with a heat tape like with regular plumbing. So far mines working in freezing temps but the coop is above freezing usually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by