My homemade bator batch-started 4/29 **Questions on page 3**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Guitartists, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, my other dozen eggs arrived today and now I can put them all in the bator I made, following Miss Prissy's Homemade Chic Chick-bator design [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm so excited..... or should I say EGG-cited!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping all goes well. My temps are staying pretty steady and humidity is finally where I need it. I'll be turning by hand. Marked all my eggs with little Xs and Os.... little hugs and kisses [​IMG]

I will keep this thread updated with pics and progress as things go along. This is going to be the longest 21 days EVER!!!! [​IMG]

Wish me luck! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  2. chickychee

chickychee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Michigan
    Good Luck!! Hopefully you have better luck than me so far!!!

3. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Good Luck with your hatch. I have a couple of coolers and am throwing around making bators out of them LOL. So I am watching all the chick chick bator threads very close. Thanks for sharing

4. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    Keep us posted. [​IMG]

5. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Have them all in. How do they look? Is this ok? I'm letting them lay how they want... is this good or bad? Sooo stressful! All the articles and information I have read... but few pictures to go with the text. I don't have a turner and in light of what I have read have decided against the egg carton method because my bator may not keep temp up higher than where I have the eggs set. I'm just worried that they are mostly on their side.... not too many tilted with the air sac end up.... will these be ok???

[​IMG]

6. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    I am no expert but I know the hen leaves them on their side and that was what I was told to do. It looks good to me

7. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    So I candled some eggs tonight. I'm no pro..LOL... but I think I see something. How to describe.... it's a mottled kind of looking thing in the center of the yolk. Is this the blood vessels people talk about??? I couldn't see well in the brown and most of the blue eggs... but the white ones I got from a friend I could see it well, and one of the blue ones. I only checked 5 eggs.

The one site I have for candeling pics doesn't have my day posted yet..LOL Go fig! Ha!

8. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Candled some eggs tonight. Saw little chickies growing in most of them with nice veins! It is the neatest thing seeing them develop and grow like that! Had one obvious bloodring. It was one of my d'uccle eggs! [​IMG] Let my son crack it open to see what was wrong. The yolk had gotten scrambled [​IMG] But, candled the other 3, 1 I don't think is any good, but will give it more time, 1 I just can't tell and the 3rd I'm pretty sure had a little chickie in it! [​IMG] Keeping my fingers crossed! [​IMG]

I will take some pictures of the eggs being candled in a day or two once I build something to set them on so I can use the camera at the same time [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Hey mine hatched just fine on their sides! I've never seen a chicken or a duck stand their eggs on end to hatch them. Good luck!
    Kate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by