My homemade brooder pics...any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kiwiegg, Apr 15, 2012.

1. kiwiegg

kiwiegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Minnesota
    I made this brooder today for our 16 babes who are arriving this week. I'm going to use this lumber for nest boxes, roost etc It's a blend of things I have learned on BYC (so don't blame me). The divider will come out at around 2 weeks (apparently). I just need to get a small waterer and some light chain from Fleet Farm to hang the fire risk, whoops, heat lamp from, (note the temporary smoke alarm on wall...[​IMG]

Are first chicks like your first kid? I bet when we get chicks again in the future they will get a cardboard box and a smile and left to do their thing!!! (just kidding)........any suggestions? [​IMG] Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Looks pretty good. Gonna get crowded quick with 16 in there. And you will need a lid for it very shortly.

3. campclaus

campclaus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    I thought it look pretty big, but I have no clue! Is there a rule of thumb on how big to make the brooder? Ya know, chicks per square feet...
    Also what is the thought of this type of brooder(solid walls) as appose to fencing or plexi glass? I heard the babies will wory about you reaching in over them..

4. kiwiegg

Jul 7, 2009
    Minnesota
    It's 15 square feet. Ive been reading on BYC and in Gail Damerows book that for first 2 weeks 6"x6" per chick and next 2 weeks 1sq' per chick. I'm 1 square foot short but they can live with that! Hey Ron C, how long does it take a chick to be able to get over a 2 foot wall?

5. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    2-3 weeks would be a guess, mine were able to jump/fly 18 inches at about 2 weeks. At four weeks had one fly 4 feet up the side and latch on to the wire to say hello as I entered the run. As they get a little older and heavier they haven't been able to fly any higher yet.

6. kiwiegg

Jul 7, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thanks, yeah I think I will see what happens - just put some hardware cloth on top or kick the little buggers into their nice new coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by