My homemade Brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aussiechicken, Aug 20, 2011.

1. aussiechicken

aussiechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Hi all and thanks for the welcome over in the Intro's section!

I'm so very excited to say that we are about to get our feathered babies! I was hoping to have been able to put them straight into the coop with a heat lamp but alas, I haven't finished my coop yet so I needed a brooder in the meantime. I was given a rather antique looking timber one however it was SOOOOO huge (think >50 chicks I think easy!) and wouldn't fit in my laundry! So, I decided to make one. Here's my very complex :p brooder and DIY instructions for anyone who might be interested!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You will need:
    2 x under bed plastic tubs
    1 x jigsaw or similar (for cutting plastic tub up)
    masking tape
    Lamp
    feeder/waterer/shavings etc

Ok, so it was as simple as cutting the bottom out of one of the tubs, attaching the top tub to the bottom tub using some masking tape (went round a few times) and simply adding your accessories. I've made up a lid covering out of leftover aviary mesh which I've used outside on the coop.

Well, off to get our chicks now - will post an update when we get them home!

2. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    That'll work great for the first couple weeks until they start flying [​IMG]

Looks great! How many chicks are you getting?

3. aussiechicken

Jun 20, 2011
    hehehe very true - I do have a mesh "roof" to go on top but they only have to stay in there for a week or two as I put the final touches onto the coop and then i'll transfer them (and of course the heat lamp) out there.

We are getting 8 chicks - 4 x plymouth rocks and 4 x gold laced wyandottes

praying that we dont get 8 roosters :p

4. credmond

credmond Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2008
    Michigan
    That is a great idea you had..i may try that for my next order..
    For 8 birds that should be fine. good luck with your new birds and enjoy!
    (and good luck not getting a rooster!)

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    What a cute/nifty set-up! [​IMG]

Did you get your chicks yet???? [​IMG] [​IMG]

~ Aspen [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Nice setup--thanks for sharing!

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Ah yes....plastic totes are a miracle LOL I have 2 silkies in one right now. When you move them out to the coop...make very very sure that heat lamp is secured and it cannot fall and touch shavings...also beware of a bulb breaking and starting a fire so if possible have it high enough they cannot hit it.

Good luck and don't forget to post pics of that coop when it is done. [​IMG]

8. kevlar

kevlar Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2011
    Looks great!

9. aussiechicken

Jun 20, 2011
    Well we are home and our feathered babies are in their brooder. Had to go and get a more powerful lightbulb as it wasn't warm enough. They seem happy enough, they have a sleep and then they get up and trash their food and water. We ended up with 4 x gold laced wyandottes, 1 x plymouth rock and 3 x bantam australorps. So why the difference??? Well, the breeder has "sexed" them - feather method, and she didn't actually have 4 plymouths... She's obviously not giving me any guarantees about what we get but she thinks she's given us 8 girls... Time will tell LOL!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Would love to know what that breeder says is feather sexing. At that age, unless DNA or vent sexing (even vent isn't 100% all the time) you just don't know roo or hen. Very cute littles though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by