My Homemade Eglu

ChickyDee

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
Atlanta
big_smile.png
I have been wanting a couple of chickens for almost a year now but I live in a neighborhood with strict covenants so I couldn't have anything too obvious. I was thinking about and Eglu but the cost was prohibitive so I bided my time until I found this doghouse by Rubbermaid. It is called the 'Grow With Me' dog house, meaning that the front wall can be adjusted to make the house smaller for a puppy and larger as the dog grows. This also means that it has grooves and indentations on the inside that made it really easy to add perches and a nest box! The house itself is double wall constructed just like an Eglu, it has a vent that can be closed, and the top is hinged so it lifts right up and has a support to keep it up so that both of my hands will be free.
This is a picture of the actual doghouse:
DSC01325.jpg

The top lifts for easy access:
DSC01327-1.jpg

The interior:
DSC01328.jpg

My babies:
DSC01314.jpg

We haven't constructed the run yet but I think that this is a good start, what do you all think about this? Bear in mind I am only keeping a couple of hens in a suburban neighborhood.

Last edited:
big_smile.png
Thank you! I forgot to mention that the doghouse retailed for $99 but I talked them down to $50!!! WooHoo!!!

Last edited:
That is a really very good idea. I have seen how nice and "HIGH priced" those Eglus are. Your's looks just as nice.

You are certainly thinking outside and "inside" the box, too!!

Can I "steal" your idea!
pop.gif
big_smile.png

Last edited:
That's awesome! I too, looked at the Eglu. Way expensive, and fairly small. I bet this doghouse is even bigger! I assume the hole inside is for a nest? You may end up having to make it bigger, or they might decide on a corner instead. (Or mine would, maybe they're just silly?)

Quote:
I have never had chickens before so I don't know if the hole will be big enough or not. We can just slip the plywood out and cut a larger whole in no time so that doesn't worry me too much. I'm hoping that the back area will be a 'nesting area' but if they don't use it then I will pull the plywood out and let them use a corner. I was under the impression that they liked privacy for egg laying duty. I also don't know how many hens this will accommodate down here in the south where they won't be inside due to inclement weather very often. What do you all think?

Back
Top Bottom