1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My homemade hatcher.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redneck, Jun 25, 2007.

1. redneck

redneck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2007
    Lynchburg,Tn.
    I am going to have multiple hatches in the next few weeks. I had enough items laying around to build another incubator. Now I have a Bator and a Hatcher.
    [​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Looks good! My only recomendation....put a little piece of the fencing around the light bulb, so they dont get burned. Hatch on!!!

3. McSpin

McSpin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    South Western NY
    Very nice!

I'm curious, how are you going to control humidity and ventilation? Also, do you have a window for viewing? You're going to want to see in there without having to lift the top off. Is the thing in the upper left corner, the thermostat?

4. redneck

redneck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2007
    Lynchburg,Tn.
    There is a window in the lid and I have since put some ventilation holes in the sides. Also the light is about 8 inches from the floor of the hatcher. I am going to use the channels in the floor for water.

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Redneck, that is what I made my first one for. I considered using the channels for water as well. I used a string of small watt bulbs on the last one there are three on the string so I can get even heat. I don't have a fan but the smaller Omaha Steak box works great without a fan and I am electrically challenged. Its fun to set these up isn't it. Makes me feel smart.[​IMG] You have really done a great job on yours.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Do I need a fan in a hatcher if I make one? I have two sets of eggs in my bator, and I want to make a quick inexpensive hatcher so that my incubator doesn't get nasty after the first group hatches...Any help would be great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by