My Homemade Incubator and a Question!

Orange Ribbon

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Hey folks, I've adjusted, moved stuff around, said a few bad things, and finally got my incubator going. All I need to do is put some trim around the window so it will look better. I am very pleased with it so far, but am wondering if I should tinker with it a little more. Here is the deal: I have 2 thermometers inside. One is coming ON at 99.1 and going OFF at 100.7 The other is coming ON at 89.9 and going OFF at 100 even. It has been doing this steady for over 12 hours now, so I think it is settled in good. This thing is WONDERFUL compared to that junky Little Giant stinko machine.
big_smile.png

Okay, in your opinion, would you leave it where it is, or would you try to get the ON and OFF distance a little closer? Will it work like it is?

86697_incubator_1.jpg

Don't you mean thermostat, rather than thermometer?

If so, what you have sounds good, although I might have sbrought them a little closer, say 99-100 and 99.5-100. That way the temps don't fluctuate too much and the second thermostat/heater (however you've set it up) is there as back-up. No?

Can we see pics of the insides and the workings of you egg-machine, please? I'd love to see how you've done it.

Pictured below is the inside of my incubator. I installed an electrical receptor inside to plug the fans and egg turner into so there are not a bunch of cords running out of the box. That is why you see that mess of cords in there.
big_smile.png
To the right of the big black plug you can see the light in the back. Above that is a white cover that my thermostat is inside of with the back of the thermostat facing down towards the light. Red fan to the far right, with a water container behind that which you don't see. Above is the screen with the egg turner on it with a computer fan on the back wall with a small hole behind it to bring in fresh air.

I only have one thermostat, but I have two thermometers. One is calibrated which is at the top even with where the top of the eggs will be, and is showing 99.1 when the thermostat cuts on, and the thermostat cuts OFF when the temperature on that one is 100. The other thermometer is digital and is facing out the window. You can see it pictured in the first post. I don't know if there is a difference in temperature there or if the thermometer is off a little bit. It reads 89.9 when the thermostat comes on and 100.7 when the thermostat shuts off. Don't know whether to pay much attention to that one or not. I guess I could move the other thermometer down and see what it reads.

I had it within 1/2 degree one time, but since I turned the thermostat up to get it closer to the right temperature it is off now about a degree. I may be able to get the thermostat slightly closer to the light bulb. Maybe that will bring it a little closer. Just wanted to see what some of you guys thought before I go messing with it.

86697_inside_incubator.jpg

In case anybody is interested....

I got it within 2/10ths of a degree!
celebrate.gif
Got the thermostat a little closer to the bulb, and it is working great! Turning on at 99.5 and turning off at 99.7
wee.gif

awesome,,,,,,...!!!! you are using a hot water heater thermostat, i am probably about to make my second homemade incubator tomorrow hopefully it turns out okay,
fl.gif
thumbsup.gif
good job on the incubator, i am doing a fridge-bator as well, and i am using a hot water heater thermostat, two lights for heat and two of those 6 dollar wal-mart fans, and i am hoping it will turn out okay,,,.... it can hold two little giant egg turners, and i could adjust it to hold 3 but it might get a little cramped then, my mini fridge is bigger than your its taller but i dont think it is wider i think mine is not as wide as yours,,, i hope to hatch some quail and a lot of chickies

Thanks guys.

Quote:
I sure appreciate your help on my incubator. I ended up putting the thermostat almost touching the bulb. I mean, it is within 1/32 of an inch! HA!

I have another fridge to make one out of, but it is a little smaller. I will have to turn it on its side to make it wide enough, and I will have to cut one section off an LG egg turner to fit in lengthwise. I have all the stuff for it, so I will be getting on it in the next day or so.

Well, it looks like I'll be in the egg hatching business pretty soon. I'm going to let this thing run a few days to ensure it hangs in there, then find me some eggs to hatch.

Thanks again!

Quote:
You lucky thing lol. I threw out one of those small (but not mini) fridges when I moved house at the beginning of the year. I'd been keeping it in lofts/garages for 4 years before chucking it. I'm all black and blue with kicking myself now lol. I would have loved trying to build an incubator. It looks like a lot of fun!

Back
Top Bottom