My homemade incubator **BABY PICS!!**

Yep, I just took a strip I tore off of (what else ?) an paper egg carton to put in there and it's just enough of a crack to let out the humidity without letting out the heat...

Well, we've completed 10 days of the 'Rubber-chicken-a-bator's first attempt at hatching

Here's what we got so far...

14 silky eggs started
2 totally clear and removed today (1 partridge, 1 white)
12 left - saw clear movement in 10 of 12, others had good veining and no blood ring that I could see, so left them in there

Will candle again on Sunday/monday and see where we are.

The bator is holding pretty steady on temp range, even with the drop in temps here. Humidity still is a problem from time to time - I have to crack the lid to let a bit more humidity out to get it back to the 50% range. Good news is that it shouldn't be difficult to get it up to 80% for hatching by closing the lid tight and blocking my large humidity vent holes.

Keeping my fingers crossed......

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Latest update...OK, couldn't wait a whole 'nother 3 days to take a quick peek.....

Did a very quick candle tonight without even removing the eggs - just shined the light up to the eggs.

12 eggs left........
12 eggs with definate movement!!

So far so good.... over 1/2 way there... T-minus 10 days and counting!!!

smile.png

Last edited:
I've got to get mine started here. Problem is, I'm too much of a designer. I worry about light placement, should it be right under the eggs or off to the side so that the eggs are heated evenly? Should the fan be facing so that it doesn't blow directly on the eggs? Should the thermostat be placed close to the eggs but away from the light so that the direct heat from the light doesn't effect it? I even have my brother inventing an egg turner, which by the way, he has done, I just got to see if I can come up with the supplies. Will turn a teeter toter egg holder, 4 times a day and should be pretty cheap to put together. Which would be a nice addition to all our homemade bators. I just have to stop letting myself get hung up on the details. However that would be going against my nature. So I've got to say WAY TO GO!! Good job and someday I just need to be more like you. Just decide to do and do it. Good luck, I'm pulling for you!!
big_smile.png

Don't think I haven't 2nd and 3rd guessed EVERYTHING, from fan placement, to the light, to the fact that the cooler is really too big for the amount of eggs, to is my thermometer working right to are my temps steady enough.... it goes on and on.

I have to say I did calm down a bit once I saw the eggs were actually developing. I just keep telling myself that mamma hen doesn't have 5 thermometers, a fan or anything else fancy and she does just fine....

Of course, that doesn't stop me from having contant anxiety over if the power goes out, or the fan goes out, or the light bulb burns out and what if I don't know right away....

10 more days of this! And I'm already planning the next batch of eggs.

I'd just build it, let it run a few days and get it all adjusted and then order some eggs, or better yet set some of your own if you have some. Look before you leap, but nothing ventured, nothing gained!

th.gif

Last edited:
I don't have a rooster. Ha, matter of fact, I don't have any hens laying yet
gig.gif

What I'm thinking about doing is building it and seeing if I can get some BO eggs from somebody, to give it a whirl. I'd really like some buffs anyway, and I want to try out the bater before I attempt the Blue Orpingtons. I'm just going to have to it.

What I'm thinking about doing is building it and seeing if I can get some BO eggs from somebody, to give it a whirl. I'd really like some buffs anyway, and I want to try out the bater before I attempt the Blue Orpingtons. I'm just going to have to it.

LOL... I am going to do the same thing as for the trying it out before getting the blue orp eggs... would rather screw up on my own than the precious babies from Cyn!!! As for the BO's wish I could help you out... I don't have a BO roo, so I am going to use a Light Brahma roo with the BO hens. But still have to build the extra coop to house them in to keep them away from others. IF I get this all done in the next month or so... I could send you a few of these eggs... Send me an email or pm... and keep in touch with me.

Arlee - I am so excited for you.... waiting for yours to hatch before I attempt my own in the rubbermaid bator..... where are you all keeping these babies with the cold and all???? DH says they are too noisy as babies and doesnt want me keeping them in the house... what can I do??????​

Well, once they are out of the bator, I'm going to keep them in my home office where I work for a while until they get too big/messy/noisy, then house them in my outbuilding. Most of it is finished out as my workroom/sewing room/workout room/living space and there is heat out there.

I usually keep it at least 68 when I'm not in there working just to keep the temps steady and to protect all the electronics out there from temp fluctations.

I would put them on the 'dog' side of the bldg where I raised my day olds this summer, but there's no heat out there and I'm worried would be too cool this time of year.

The building is basically my space and we won't have to worry about the noise or cleanup too much.

Well, day 15 and we're down to 11 from the original 14. Had a quitter since the last candling. I had questioned it before and compared it again tonight to one of the other eggs and the veining was all gone and there was a lot of 'white' space on both ends of the egg. Looked like development stopped at least 4-5 days ago from the size of the embryo.

I'm a bit sad because it was one of the Blue/Black/Splash ones.
sad.png

Will candle them all again as I prepare the bator for hatching on Friday...
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom