My homemade incubator.

kada6305

Songster
6 Years
Mar 13, 2013
Kersey, Pennsylvania
Thought i would post pictures of my homemade incubator made from a cooler from walmart. I've seen pictures of other with the light on the side but I've found with it on the lid the temperature is more consistent through the incubator. When I had it on the side the temp would be too high on the eggs closer to the bulb and too cold on the other side.

Front window

Toilet paper roll cut to keep the eggs from rolling into each other if the incubator gets bumped ( I have 3 dogs)
The thermometer probe taped to a test egg until I got the temperature right.
The thermostat sensor.

wire mesh on the floor and paper towels on top of that. There is a lid of an egg carton below the wire mesh that I fill with water for humidity.

Top window on lid

Hole for the thermostat sensor

Top view

Light on the lid

The thermostat I use and have good success of keeping the temperature. Only varies 1 degree. Turns on at 100 and turns off at 101

Thanks!I just set my eggs tonight so will be awhile :) Last batch I didn't have the thermostat hooked up and I was using a 60watt light. This time I have a 25watt and it's perfect.
the middle turns on at 100 and turns off at 101.
the left side turns on at 100 off at 101
The right turns on at 101 and off at 102.

For a homemade incubator I think the temperature is pretty good. This only holds 12 average eggs, could fit more with bantams. I want to make a bigger one once I figure out if this one works out or not.

Where did you get that thermost? And I'm curious about air flow/holes? The temperature fluctuations are in a good range, it should work good!

Last edited:
Where did you get that thermost? And I'm curious about air flow/holes? The temperature fluctuations are in a good range, it should work good!

I got it off of Amazon. There are some hole on the sides and I added some on the lid, about 6 holes total.

Here is what I ordered: But mine wasn't that much when I got it awhile ago. May be able to find it on E-bay for cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018CLYNG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Remember, I have it set at 104* to get my temperatures right, so you do have to play around with it. And I only have a 25 watt light.

Yes, I have to do this with my LG styrobator too, the temp never matches up. I tried making one similar to yours and the 25 watt light bulb produced the correct temperature. I ended up buying a incubator what a waste of $! Good luck it looks and sounds right to me! Happy Hatching!

Back
Top Bottom