My Homemade wet bulb thermometer doesnt work.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Griffin Nest, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    This is my 3rd try at making a wet bulb thermometer and it STILL doesnt work!! what am i doing wrong? I cut a shoelace, covered the bulb with one end and the other end is 2 inches inside of a bowl of water. the thermometer is the little thermometer that comes with a little giant incubator. my 1st try was with a thermometer much like this, but larger, and my 2nd try went digital, and now im going back to using a regular bulb. all 3 times i get the same thing. the wet bulb readings are only about 2-3 degrees off of the dry bulb reading! that must be VERY high humidity. i already have humidity gauges in there and the humidity is around 50. why arent my wet bulbs working? [​IMG] [​IMG]

currently, my dry bulb says 100.4 and my wet bulb says 96. from that reading, the humidity SHOULD be around 85, but its not. its more around 40 according to all 3 of my hydrometers. (i have 2 digital hydrometers and one from the pet store)

I'm moderately irritated...[​IMG] ive wasted about 30 bucks on this whole thing with the wet bulb stuff

2. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    pleeeeez?
    should I just not use it?? i was looking forward to using it though. it seems like a more accurate way to measure humidity. i guess not.. for me [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Make sure your wet bulb is actually wet with water that is the temp of the incubator, then make sure you have adequate air flow over the wet bulb to get an accurate reading of ambient. It is very possible that 1 cm above the water tray, that humidity is 90%, while 3 inches away on the egg tray, it is 50.

I only use wet bulb/dry bulb.... but when it comes down to incubating eggs, I don't check it at all.

4. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    Quote:yeah the water is the same temp. it been in there for about 7 hours.

so, it depends how long the string is and how much is in the water??? oh that explains it.
    then i dont understand the point of it then [​IMG] it it depends how far it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by