My horny little rooster and my little pullet who may be ready?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by logansmommy7, Sep 4, 2009.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley
    So I have a little roo who has started strutting his stuff per say around the run. I noticed the other day he tried to get with one of the young pullets and then today I saw him grab her again-he obviously doesn't know what he is doing. I am wondering if this means my little pullet might lay soon? I also saw him go after one of the older laying hens-so I just thought I'd ask for some opinions here. My young pullets are definitely maturing. Most of them have faces that are turning redder by the day...they are easter eggers, so I'm guessing they won't have much comb. What do you think?

2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    My cockeral is just learning himself. Half are all about the some age, hatched in March sometime. The other half that I just got are about 1 1/2 years and going through their molt. So no eggs from them yet.

I only have 2 young ones laying right now. But he tries to get ALL the girls. Young, old. [​IMG] But no body wants HIM right now. They all act like he's going to kill them. [​IMG]

3. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    Quote:poor Romeo hasn't learned the gentle art of woo'ing yet

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, roosters don't care how old they are. They'll 'get it on' with them all, or at least they'll try. Roosters aren't picky. It COULD mean that the girls are getting ready to lay but it most likely means that the rooster is just doing what he wants to do.

He'll learn in time. For now, though, he's just a bother to his hens.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    When she stops screaming and trying to get away from him, and starts squatting, then she'll be soon ready to lay. That's the best sign I've seen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by