My horse passed away this morning...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chellester, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    I had to have my 28 year old horse, Nipper, put to sleep this morning due to complications from colic. He has been going downhill for the past year or so, so I knew this day was coming.

I've had him since he was 5 years old (and I was 16). He has always been a "people horse"- very friendly, almost more like a big dog than a horse in many ways. He was a big horse (17 hands) but he was just a big old friendly goofball, and was especially fond of children, letting them run around, underneath him and hang off of him.

He was an important part of my teenage years, and I think if I didn't have him to keep me busy at that time, I would have gotten into a lot more trouble than I already did.

After I grew up, I didn't get to ride him as much, but I always tried to make sure he was well cared for. When I was riding him a lot, I kept him at my parents ranch, but the last 12 years or so I borded him at a couple of different places, and eventually up at my in-laws ranch about an hour away so he could have more room to run and bud around with other horses.

We got the call from my inlaws this morning saying he was on the ground and could not get up. The other two horses with him were running around him and tried to get him to stand up, but he just couldn't. My DH called an emergency vet to go out there and see if there was anything that could be done, but we pretty much knew that this was going to be it.
    The vet put him to sleep a couple of hours ago.

My DH is going to go up there tomorrow and use a backhoe to bury Nipper. I have decided not to go up there because I don't want to see Nipper like this; I want to remember him the way he was. I know a lot of people are probably going to knock me for that, but at this point, I really don't care.

I don't even know what to feel right now... he hasn't been a huge part of my life in the recent years, so I am not feeling a lot of loss in that respect. Also, if someone or something has had a good, long life, death is the unavoidable result of that, and with that thought process, I don't see it as much of a loss or as tragic as an unexpected death when someone or something is young and still has a lot of years ahead of them. Though I did have a good cry, it was about some other issues I am having as well as what happened this morning, so I still just kind of feel numb right now.

RIP, Nipper, my dear friend; sometimes I felt you were the only friend I really had. Thank you for being one of the very few positive things in my life.

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Loss is never easy. You need to handle things how ever you feel right....

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    So sorry.....

4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

You need to handle things how ever you feel right....
    I second that ! So sorry for your loss girl.....:aww

5. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Ohhh Michelle I am so sorry. As a fellow horse owner I completely understand your grief. You did each other right for many years and that is all that really matters. He is not there now, he crossed that beutiful bridge to horse heaven. I can not handle when I lose an animal and I have been like that since I was a little kid. I also can't be there and that is just the way it is. Be assured that Nipper is resting in peace.[​IMG]

6. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Hugs to you - its never easy to lose a friend, even when you are somewhat 'prepared' in your mind that the end is not far away.

Take care and RIP Nipper.

7. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Sorry to hear about your lifetime friend passing on to a better place. The ones that see us through are childhood are very special.

This is one of my favorite poems for the old ones that have moved on.

Somewhere in time's own space
    There is some sweet pastured place
    Where creeks sing on and tall trees grow
    Some paradise where horses go,
    For by the love that guides my pen
    I know great horses live again.

~Stanley Harrison~

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  8. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    It does not matter if he has been in your life recently or not, at one point or another he was your world, and you love him! You now have the ultimate gaurdian angel!! I am so sorry for your loss.

9. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I'm so sorry for your loss, but at least he had a good life...:aww

10. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    sorry to hear that i had a back few years a go we had to put down he was 44 years old it is hard to do that [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by