My Horse Training Adventures!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sassysarah, Oct 29, 2018.

1. sassysarah

sassysarah Free Ranging

Apr 3, 2017
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Hey there horse fans! :frow
    I thought it would be fun to make a thread all about me and my horses! This thread will follow up on the progress we are making together! Riding, groundwork etc!
    I buy horses that aren't being used and sitting out in pastures going to waste. Then I work on riding them, teaching them to be respectful to their owners, lunging, trailering, desensitizing them to whips, plastic bags, traffic dogs etc. Them I match them up with people that are looking for good family horses!
    I also have some of my own horses that I am keeping FOREVER!

(Lightning)
    Breed: Grade
    Height: 15.1 hands
    Color: Palomino
    Info: I purchased, Lightning, as a green broke horse 7 months ago. He had not been ridden in about 4 years and spooked at everything!:th
    He would bolt while leading him, needed a TON of work at turning! I started him with direct reining them I slowly introduced neck reining, since I ride western of course! Now he's just about BOMB PROOF!
    :celebrate
    I was just galloping him through my field yesterday! A 4 year old has ridden him by herself. He's absolutely an amazing horse!

I took him for a walk down the road the other day!
    DSC09983 (3).JPG
    Out in the pasture
    DSC03543 (2).JPG
    Leisure riding
    DSC07727 (3).JPG

(Savvy)

Breed: Quarter Horse
    Height: 14.3 hands
    Color: Sorrel
    Info: She was pretty well broke when I we got her. She had 30 days a barrel training and was loping around the barrels great! She is amazing on trails!

Jumping Savvy bareback
    DSC00191 (2).JPG
    Grazing in the pasture
    DSC05495.JPG

(Sunshine)

Breed: Unknown
    Height: 12 1/2 hands
    Info: Sunshine is a great kid pony! She's very calm, easy to ride, A 5 year old has been to playdays, trails etc. on her. I bought her about 2 months ago.
    DSC08623 (2).JPG

I also have 2 other geldings that are in training that I should be finding good homes soon!:)

(Chester)
    DSC06171 (2).JPG

(Pistol)
    I actually don't have any pictures of him right now,:( but I'm going out to ride him so I let you know how he does and I'll update pictures of him!

Some pictures of (Bo) the last horse I sold to a family.
    Height: About 15 hands
    Breed: Grade
    Info: Bo, was such a joy to train! She learned everything so quickly and was very eager to please! She needed work on trailering, loping when asked, riding with a bit etc. But she picked up on everything I taught her so fast!
    The owners are actually using her to give horseback riding lessons to kids! I'm so happy she has a great home!:love
    DSC03843 (2).JPG
    DSC02266.JPG

I will be updating this thread very often!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  2. Ducksandchickens

Ducksandchickens Free Ranging

Apr 24, 2018
    North Western Ohio
    So cool!! I don’t own any horse but my neighbors do and they rescue and train horses as well

3. sassysarah

sassysarah Free Ranging

Apr 3, 2017
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    That's awesome!:thumbsup Horses deserve more than just rotting in a pasture.

4. Ducksandchickens

Ducksandchickens Free Ranging

Apr 24, 2018
    North Western Ohio
    Ikr. When I’m older I would like to set up a rescue site for farm animals that have been mistreated. After I become a veterinarian

5. sassysarah

sassysarah Free Ranging

Apr 3, 2017
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    It was too dark to get pictures of Pistol tonight. I will definitely get some tomorrow though.
    He did great for riding though! I have been working on downward transitions and trotting with him. Whenever I ask him to trot he does but then breaks into a lope. So thats the biggest thing we are working on right now, is how to keep that pace without speeding up. He's also a little headshy and spooky so I have been doing a lot of desensitizing to plastic bags, whips and ropes.

drumstick diva likes this.
  6. sassysarah

sassysarah Free Ranging

Apr 3, 2017
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    DSCN1584.JPG
    I actually found a picture of Pistol, in my folders!
    Pistol, is a 12 year old, 14.2 hand gelding. He's probably going to need more muscle and a little weight. He wasn't getting any hay at the original owners. They had, maybe a 2 acre yard and he was just eating the grass there. Now he's getting a lot of hay and 3 quarts of 14% performance horse pellets a day.

It's looks like it's going to be too cold and windy to ride today. I will have to see if the wind calms down.

7. pallas

pallas Songster

Jul 14, 2016
    He is gorgeous :love!

sassysarah123 likes this.
  8. sassysarah

sassysarah Free Ranging

Apr 3, 2017
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Thank you!:D

pallas likes this.
  9. sassysarah

sassysarah Free Ranging

Apr 3, 2017
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I actually did end up riding Pistol, today! I did ground work about 30 minutes before.

Attached Files:

10. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Well done...:woot

drumstick diva and sassysarah123 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: