My Horses' First Show -extremely pic heavy-

Corey NC

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
North Carolina
These are some pics from a horse show this weekend, the first for both the horse and pony I am riding and the both are very green jumpers.

I know we have some experienced riders here and I'd love your opinions of my position and the quality of the Horses.

Lady -
1.jpg

10.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

19.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Patches -
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Thanks!

Your position seemed very nice! I love the way patches jumps, he has nice knees over the fences. Lady's jumping "style" will improve with more work, though she looked like she did a great job!

We did the Special Hunters Division with Lady Disqualified out of both of our jumping classes. I fell on one and we had a refusal and two circles in the other. Our goal wasn't to win or anything just to make it a good experience for Lady. We got third in the flat though, Lady has a really lovely canter.

I am too old to compete Patches so we just did the warm up class though we had the crowd's attention the whole time. He was the smallest/cutest pony there.

I think you are helping the horses over the fences very nicely. You look great!
I think Patches has more confidence then the bay horse does. You can see it in the way he carries himself over the fence. The other horse seems (in the photos) like he is a little hesitant to go over. But I could be totally off. Without video, it is really hard for me to say. I am not a pro.
I think you did a very good job with both horses.

What fun, and you look lovely! I hope you keep doing this, and keep having fun, for a long, LONG time to come. You make a beautiful picture on a horse.

In some of the shots, you seem to be a little "ahead" of the horse over the fences, particularly with Patches, but I can't even imagine how difficult it is to go from jumping the horse and then scaling down to jump the pony! Oh, but I love that pony.
smile.png

I want that lil pinto pony! WHat a doll, I think with work Lady will learn to tuck her legs and be more forward with the jumps. Overall your position is good, you need to "hug" the horse's bodies more. Keep your half seat almost along their withers/neck. So there isn't so much AIR between you and the horse. Also work on keeping your heels down and yout legs more underneath you instead of letting them slide so far back behind the girth. THink of your hip,back of the knee, and ankle making a line and keeping it all underneath your body. Most importantly HAVE FUN!

Your pictures are very good. Looks like you had fun. I have never done jumping. My sister did just in the fair with her pony. Your pony is a lot prettier than hers was. He was an ugly thing, but she loved him.

jumping pics are so hard to critique! what looks great in one looks bad half a sec later in the next......so overall i would say great first show. your turnout is good, though i would have braided for hunter classes.
i really like how you're looking up and on to all the next fences, and they're both dead center on all the fences.
the horse is using her head and neck well, she's a bit loose with her front legs though and needs to even up her knees. i think she'll make a lovely hunter with more experiance, she's full of try, very willing.
the pony has a flater profile but boy are those knees high and tight!
you need to open up your hip angle on the flat and over the fences. keep your hips centered over your saddle, you're jumping ahead of your horse. sitting up and back will help to keep your leg under you. your back is nice and flat.
all common beg issues, you've got great basics just need more miles.

Back
Top Bottom