My horses seem to have a red glow

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by RockyToggRanch, Apr 26, 2009.

1. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I've never noticed this before and wondered what may be causing it. My two teenage geldings have a noticeable red tint to them. One is sorrel, one is black. I'm racking my brain trying to figure this out. The only thing I've changed is that I started offering loose minerals a week ago, with little interest to them. I also started giving the black one a pound of hay stretcher pellets with his feed because I noticed him triple chewing his hay. The sorrel guy gets a couple of handfuls with his, just because. I did deworm them a week ago, with zimectrin gold, but I've done that before and never noticed a change. Could they be lacking something in their diet? My vet is scheduled in 3 weeks. Should I be concerned?

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I don't know what it's like in NY, but it's been really sunny here lately. My bay gelding's mane and tail have some distinct red highlights.

3. cat123

cat123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    South Ga
    could it just be their hair shedding? I have 9 horses, and this time of year, they have different "glows" and color tints,

if they are eating , walking and drinking fine I would not be concerned

4. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

My black horses always shed out what looks like reddish fur in the spring. Can't see it all winter but when it's ready to fall out it looks reddish. Beats me.

5. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Black hair turns red with sun exposure. Some breeders keep their black horses in the stable and only turn them out at night so they have a nice black sheen for sale or show. Its harmless and only affects how the hair looks. Other colors have the same thing happen to them but its not as noticeable. It happens to dogs, cats, cattle and even people!

6. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Okay, good. Thank you.

7. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    It sounds like sum bleaching to me also. Blacks will get that red tone from the sun. And your sorrel, it may be his summer coat color - where the older winter coat is shedding. I have a red roan and I was in shock the first winter he shed his coat and all of the white that was under there!

8. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Thanks, I'm rather new to horses and was afraid they were lacking something nutritionally. I tend to be way over protective.

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Yep - probably most likely sun bleaching. I've also heard if you have lots of iron or copper in your well water (if that's what they drink), you may also notice this happening.

10. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I agree with sunburn... Have had horses and a black dog do this

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by