My house chicken, Jack!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by xmissjadie, Dec 27, 2011.

1. xmissjadie

xmissjadie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    What breed is he? Australorp? Roo or pullet?
    Here he is:
    [​IMG]
    This is him next to Blueberry my blue orpington who's 2 months old. She's already bigger than him! lol
    [​IMG]
    This is him at 2 days old:
    [​IMG]
    This was him when he was 2 weeks old:
    [​IMG]
    This him at 5 weeks old:
    [​IMG]
    Now:
    [​IMG]
    His comb:
    [​IMG]
    Side shot:
    [​IMG]
    His tail:
    [​IMG]
    Edit: I feel like such a bad mom! I was confusing when I got him and his bros and sis' with when I got my splash silkies! He's only 3 months old! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  2. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    What kinda comb does he have and it looks like jack has green legs.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Probably a mutt. I have a mutt house chicken too. Yours looks like a hen. My girl is named Annie-Belle. She is about 5 months old as well. I had referred to her in a feminine light for so long, I couldn't break myself from it when I found out she was a rooster. Annie-Belle wears a diaper during the day when she's free-ranging in the house. I trim her nails and beak as needed, although I'm gonna get her a couple of stepping stones to trim her beak on naturally. Louise's Country Cottage has the best diapers ever for about $8/each. Annie-Belle says hi! (She's kinda homely looking).
    [​IMG]

4. xmissjadie

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    Quote:They are dark colored.

5. xmissjadie

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    Quote:Oh maybe. I'm not sure if he's a roo for sure, he's been displaying roo behavior but hasn't crowed yet! And Jack says hi too![​IMG] I just ordered a diaper from hen saver for him the other day. He's been living in a big cage in the family room. I let him out out to free range in there with some towel on the ground so he doesn't ruin the carpet with his poop [​IMG]

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Without the diaper, my dogs follow her around waiting for that special hot snack. [​IMG]
    At 5 months old I would expect to see more comb/wattle formation. Does he have any hackle or sickle feathers? At 5 months he should. I think he's a girly man.

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

awwww, he's adorable! [​IMG] Very, very pretty birds you have! [​IMG]

8. xmissjadie

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    Quote:No he doesn't. He's probably a pullet but oh well I'll still call him Jack and call him a 'him'. [​IMG]

9. xmissjadie

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    b.hromada :

awwww, he's adorable! [​IMG] Very, very pretty birds you have! [​IMG]

Thank you [​IMG]

10. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I had a bird like that...he was an easter egger. He was so small for the longest time, and so girly looking...I worried about how small he was...he turned into a very handsome black easter egger rooster...I was kinda sad...wanted him to be a girl...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by