my house is a mess

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by naturababe, May 12, 2010.

1. naturababe

naturababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    because all i do is sit and watch my chicks all day. how long does this last? will i be able to get back to work when they stop being so darn cute?

2. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I doubt it, because I mess with my alpacas, or the ferret or the dogs or the mice or the birds all the time, and just do Flyladies 15 min. clean up on my house . . .when I get the chicks, it will have to be cut to 10. I am just thankful to be able to have them.

3. Roni

Roni Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2009
    Essex
    I would honestly like to say that it will get better but this is coming from someone who was extremely houseproud who then got four hens and who is now living in a hovel!!!! (I jest, but I know exactly what you mean!!) Enjoy it while you can, the housework can get done another day!!! xxx

4. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    My chicks just arrived yesterday and nothing, NOTHING has gotten done since. I have them in a 55 gal tank with a chair in front of it for me to sit and watch. My cat sits on the foot stool and watches with me, although she has been more productive with the rest of her life. Enjoy them while they are little, they grow up fast.

5. Manda0227

Manda0227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    I've lost weight since getting chicks!! My housework has severely suffered! I sit and watch the chicks- and I pet them, and everything. Its not like sitting and watching TV where you can pop snacks in your mouth while being entertained. I'm afraid to get sick, so I just sit, and watch and then I look at the time.. and 2 hours passed by! Chicks. The new method of weight loss! [​IMG] Although, I kinda thought it would stop once they got older.. and my first set are outside, and they're just as entertaining... I'll be a rail before I know it!

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh good lord, no. It doesn't end. It just abates a little bit. Once they are outside full time, I bet you'll pull up a chair to watch them outside, as well. But not quite as much.

But my house is STILL a mess. Heck, even my yard is a mess, now that I've let them Free Range in the back yard when I'm home.... it's too much fun watching THEM discover goodies! I "thought" I'd do some yard work and let the chickens do their thing, maybe even "help" me, but I spent more time watching them than pulling weeds.

But when I do pull weeds, I do have a whole lot of fluffy helpers! They go straight for the soil where the weeds used to be.

So, pull a weed, stand back, watch a while, pull another weed, stand back and watch a while, repeat.

I've even forgiven them for eating all the blossoms off the geraniums, scratching in the potted plants, and - at this early stage - am delighted to find an egg or two laid in little nests of the tall grass. (Instead of in the coop nest boxes.) It's like a little daily Easter egg hunt! (Only two of the eight layers have not managed to get back to the coop to lay their eggs, everybody else still lays in the "right" spot.)

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Nope, sorry. They never stop being cute, they just morph into different stages of cuteness.

If there ever is a job opening somewhere for "chicken watcher," I am so going to apply for it.

8. naturababe

naturababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    [​IMG]

sounds like i'll have to squeeze chores in around chicken watching or teach my five year old how to cook.....

9. jaimie44

jaimie44 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    (((SIGH)))) I feel your pain. I thought when I moved mine from the enclosed front porch to their coop and run, things would get back to normal. But then I got more chicks....so now I have to divide my time between the babies on the porch and the half-grown ones out back. To make sure I spend even MORE time with the ones outside, I starting making landscape plans for around their run. I planted some plants to make it look "cuter", bought a hanging basket to hang outside the coop, and of course I had to have chairs and a small table to sit and watch them! I want to be comfortable you know [​IMG] Then I got hubby involved in the watching. He drives a truck and is only home on week-ends. We used to spend our week-ends riding the motorcycle, shopping etc...Now we just sit and watch the pure, free entertainment out chickens provide. Better than therapy! My house is a wreck....[​IMG]

10. organicchef

organicchef Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2007
    Central NC
    So...I'm suppose to get my chicks on this coming Tuesday...how many weeks should I ask off from work????[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by