1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My housing plan for Pigeons, what o you guys think?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Joe.G, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Hi, I am building a 8x10x8 coop, that has a attached 16x20x9 Aviary, I bam building this for my Peafowl, but I would like to keep about 4 Pigeons in it. I figured that inside the coop in one of the upper corners I could build a nice platform and keep there water and feed up there, Maybe put some sort of roost there, I then figured outside I could build a roost for them in a upper corner.

Will this work you think? the Peafowl will have a door near the floor to get from coop to pen, Will the Pigeons figure it out and use this door also?

Do you guys see any problems?

1 person likes this.
  2. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    i wouldve said not to bother chancing it, but just saw a P. allen smith you tube video, of a man who breeds pea foul, some type of show pigeons, and lady amherst pheasant i believe. he had the pigeons up on boards just low enough under back of lean to roofs for the pigeons to stand up tall, and just wide enough for the pigeons to stand facing out maybe. they ate the pea foul feed, as did the lady amherst pheasants. pheasants had low open boxed areas at bottom back below area that was for pea foul nesting on top of them. seemed to create maximum space and nesting for them all. the pigeons and phesants all looked strong and healthy, as did the pea foul, just the pea foul had really ratty feathers.. the whole series of runs were only one long wall pretty much with sloping down roofs, connecting them to the fence at front, and top and sides of runs were just enclosed with netting separating groups. the guy only had one trouble with preds being an owl that had dived and tore hole in top of netting of one run, but otherwise he said the pea foul were good at keeping preds away on own and had mobbed foxes that dug under.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    It looks good so far!

I can not see one thing that I would change about it.

It is some what obscure against the grey background and the grey building materials. It may look even better when the smog lifts.

4. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Everyone is getting along great, They all roost next to each other, Share the water, So far no issues, the Pigeons do have there own area to go to which they do about half the time but the other half they are with the Peafowl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by