My Hova driving me crazy also

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dogwood Farm, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Dogwood Farm

Dogwood Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    I didn't want to hijack the other thread so I thought better to start a new one. I'm not having a problem with the Temp or humidity over night. My problem which really isn't one yet was this morning when I load the incubator with eggs my temp went down to 88 which with loading I understand that is going to happen. But is taken forever to get back up to the 102. It was 3 hrs ago and I'm only up to 99. Humidity is staying between 35 and 41. My next concern is keeping that temp between 100 and 102 when I have to turn the eggs. Now I know ahead of time that this may happen I can make sure the house is a little warmer before I do the turning. Don't take the lid off the whole way to turn just lift the side so not so much of the warm air escapes. My question is how long do you have for the temp. to get back to what it should be for a proper hatch?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    your not stealing my thread??? next time post with me so people can answer us at the same time :) It's all good--I had the same problem-took 24 hours for my temps to go back to normal-this is my second batch-and on day 2-5 Im sweating it out already withthe temps-I can do this I can do this I can do this-I feel like Im back in school again! I refuse to get a big fat F-on this batch!

3. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Once the eggs get up to temperature they will help to maintain the temperature inside the incubator...they themselves will be acting like heatsinks, storing the heat inside them. Temperature drops (like when opening the incubator) will rebound more quickly then. Give them time...things are still stabilizing.

Ed

4. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I am not having a problem with the temps coming back up. I can stare at the thermometer next turning...but watching the light go on and off it only takes a minute or two to go back up after hand turning eggs.

Are these new or used bators? Mine was 3-6 years old but unused.
    Not sure if there is a difference with age or use or not.....

5. Dogwood Farm

Apr 12, 2009
    I got mine new like 15 yrs ago. I looked at TSC today just to see what was out there new. Same exact thing as what I have. I was able to keep the temp stable over night. When I went to bed it was at 102 and fluxing between 60 - 62 % humindity. So I decided to wait till this morning to put eggs in. Glad I did. It was at 101 and humidity after running for a night was at 41% I thought can't get any better then that. I never considered about once the eggs get to the right temp that will help stablize the bator after I've slid it open a bit just to turn eggs. I appreciate your help so much. I think I can finally sit back and relax and have fun watching. Can't wait for day 7. Again thank you so very much. Hubby has the right attitude. I was standing here fussing this morning and he looked at me and said. "You think old mother hen doesn't get off the nest to take a pee once in awhile. They survive it." Got a love a sensible man. LOL

6. Intheswamp

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Sounds like you're on the right track! [​IMG]

One thing you might want to do is pick up a new wafer...wouldn't hurt to have a spare one on hand after 15 years. [​IMG]

Something else you might try if you've got the room is to fill a small water bottle with 100F water and place it inside the incubator. This adds to the "heat sink" effect for more stabilization.

Is your's a Hovabator or an LG?

Best wishes,
    Ed

7. Dogwood Farm

Apr 12, 2009
    It says Hova-bator right on the sticker tag on it. I've gotten everything stable now it seems temp is staying around 102.4 to 102.6. Humidity is 31 % at the moment. considering adding a touch of water when I turn eggs this evening. I pretty happy at the moment. The water bottle thing is a great Idea I will diffently remember that.

8. Intheswamp

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:Looking good!

I was curious about which incubator you had because you mentioned going by TSC and seeing that what they had to offer was the "same exact thing" that you had and I just wasn't aware that TSC sold Hovabators.

Keep us posted on the progress!
    Ed

9. Dogwood Farm

Apr 12, 2009
    I'll have to recheck the name to be sure on that. I know it looked like what I have but didnt' look at the name. Just assumed it was. Thanks for the encouragement. I've been fussing all evening. Being a first timer it is very confusing when you read the book and it tells you one thing on humidity. Mine is talking 60% the lady I got the eggs from says she keeps hers at 75%. She had a sucess rate of 44 out of 50 eggs. I've read here several different opinions. Then don't even get started on Temps. I've read several articles about keeping temps at 100 and the book I have and most here I believe say 102. I guess this is more a learning experience they I thought. LOL I guess it comes down to what works for you.

10. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    The Hova bator I have (with a fan) has a sticker on it that says to be kept at 99.5.

I have noticed that one side is hotter than the other (I have two thermometers in there.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by