My! How they have grown!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Princess Lay-a, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Princess Lay-a

Princess Lay-a Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Great Falls
    We got our 1-2 week old chicks at the end of May and what a difference a month makes!

Here are the chicks a few days after we got them in their VERY large brooder. We had 77 total. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the chicks (though most are at the opposite side of the brooder) after a month of love and lots of food!! They are all fat and sassy!
    The hubby and I are spending the weekend building a coop, large enclosed area and fencing a pasture to put some of our llamas to guard the chickens. We still have all 77! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Cute!!! (And better you than me! hahaha I bet 77 of them really start smelling by now and I remember how dusty they can get!)

3. Princess Lay-a

May 17, 2010
    Great Falls
    Quote:They do have the "chicky" odor, but not the stink. I have coffee chaff in their brooder now and so it's smells more strongly of coffee than chicken poop. I will say there is more chicken "dust" and chaff dust than before. [​IMG] But when they are in the coop (in the woods) and not in our garage, that will not be a problem.

4. Mother of All

Mother of All Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    what is a coffee chaff?

5. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Yeah??? is that the grounds??? [​IMG]

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Do they all have names??? [​IMG]

7. Princess Lay-a

May 17, 2010
    Great Falls
    Quote:It's not grounds. It's the skin of the bean that comes off when it's roasted. Very light and fluffy. The chicks love it! It smells wonderful, but it's so light there is more fly away stuff than pine shavings. It has it's good and bad points. One of the best points is that it's free!!

8. Princess Lay-a

May 17, 2010
    Great Falls
    Quote:Many do have names, but we are working on getting to know personalities, so it takes longer.

Othello and Desdemona are the Polish. So far there's Clucky, Lady Honoria Dedlock, Lady Jane, Minerva McGonagall, Quasimodo, Mrs. Palfrey, Omega, Bella, Philotes, Victoria, Sheriff of Naughty-ham, Hagrid, Grawp, Nefertiti & Prof. Pickleman [​IMG]

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

It doesn't take long, does it?! [​IMG]

10. Princess Lay-a

May 17, 2010
    Great Falls
    b.hromada :

It doesn't take long, does it?! [​IMG]

Oh gosh, no! I was so surprised to go camping one morning and come home the following night to find a good few had sprouted long "real" feathers and they were two inches taller! LOL! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by