my hubby dog did it again :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by nicokl502, Jun 5, 2011.

1. nicokl502

nicokl502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    so we had to movie our chicken coop from this nice save place that we had it at, where nothing could get in or out because of a old man few house down didn't like see it. so we move it down our hill it works out ok but some how my hubby dog as i call him keeps getting in and i don't know how he does i go down to check on the chickens and there he is and all my chicks are freak out and all over there run!! one got out the other day but she came back and now he did it again and the same one is gone. we have woods behind our house that is so over grown with weeds and berry bushes thats there no way to try to find her i don't know if i should just wait to see if she comes back on her own there no way we could find her in that mess,i just hope no one in our hood finds her and gets mad at us. does any one have any ideas on how to keep out the dog out or what to do? in the end we may have to find a new home for this dog if it not this it's him peeing and pooping in the house, he a dog that found us a year he just came in our yard and no one wanted him and he has been none stop a pain in the butt i just don't know what to do!! all the chickens are fine just freak out [​IMG]

2. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    if you dont want him in your house, perhaps a dog house in a nice shady area and tied when you can not watch him every second? Or if you crate train him inside and house break him he'd most likely make an awsome house dog.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    So, the dog is getting into the coop or run? How big of a dog? You should be able to find the hole he's getting in through if you look hard enough. If your family is not fond of the dog to begin with, why not take him to a shelter? If you do like the dog maybe you need to consider putting him in a fenced yard if you have one, or on a run or something so he's not getting to your chickens and messing up your house. Give your chicken time. She may come back at bedtime to roost with the others.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    It's really nice that you took in a dog that had no one but if you can't be sure the dog will not get loose and spook the birds again, you have to fence in the birds or fence in the dog, so one CANNOT have access to the other. And right away. That poor bird is terrified and may be lost - I fervently hope she can fine her way back. I would search and search for her no matter what it takes.
    JJ

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like you're free ranging. A electric fence around the lot is a option but you will have to brush out a fenceline to prevent shorts. If the dog is the only issue your having, you may have to remove the dog but nothing says another pet, stray, or predator won't find your birds.

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I had the same problem: neighbor dog kept breaking into my chicken run but didn't hurt the chickens? You know what I discovered was making him do it? Scraps. I quit feeding the chickens scraps, the dog ignored the chicken run. Could that be your problem? I know I needed to better fortify my coop, but with several dogs of my own who are housed close to the chickens, any stray dogs don't come around typically...

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree with the electric fence. I have one and it works great. I keep my fence clear of weeds but it still works if there are a little bit of weeds/grass touching it. You can get power supplies that with work in light weeds.

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Crossing my fingers that the hen is on her way home [​IMG]
    JJ

9. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    If nobody likes the dog then figure out it's primary breed there is a rescue for every breed of dog out there,simply call them they will rehome the dog for you.They will work with it's temperment, housetrain it , neuter it , & microchip it send to it's forever home . along with raising chickens I also do dog rescue training & rehabilitation.Not knowing your area most are kill shelters this puts a dog into good home. Something to consider. [​IMG]

10. nicokl502

nicokl502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    well she came home i have no idea where she was hiding out but she found her way home, we love this dog but he his hand full i know it sounds like i am done with him and want him gone but i don't i just want him to stop getting my gals ,he is crate train that stop him from messing up my housei and we do have fence in yard and no my chickens are not free rang i wish i could let them but i am sure the dog we get at them. have my chicken in a fence in run and to me i can't see any holes but he is a very small dog jack russell terrier i don't think he want to kill them just want to play ,he only 2 and 1 /2 year old and poor thing was just left at at door steep , we got him fixed and put him in training but nothing real helped he loves being out doors and his a very nice dog just need to stop getting my chicken so it looks like we may be getting a electric fence [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by