1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My hubby is a downer -- he said absolutely NO bantams or silkies..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Momagain1, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    ugh...

I normally dont go "AGAINST" what he really feels strongly about..and he RARELY
    asks me to NOT do something...

I feel I have to honor this request due to the fact he doesnt or very rarely asks
    me to NOT do something...he rarely puts in his request of things I am trying to do
    or want to do...he's very accomodating to me.. However I just wanted ONE silkie...seriously...just one..just for show..

any type of chick have a neat look to it that is full size that may lay eggs
    at a decent production rate?? It would be fantastic if we could find a white layer
    then we'd both be happy...

has to be cold hardy (and heat tolerant too)..
    able to stand confinement (due to winters here)

TIA!

2. HatchingFever

HatchingFever Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    first silkies cant stand cold so u would need a heat lamp on them i suggest a brabanter pretter and lays a decent amout of white eggs

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I love my Buttercups- they crank out the eggs and have a lovely crown. I do fine with them both in the heat and in the cold- just down in KS, I think we get a bit more heat, but same bitter cold.

4. Pascal PicklePants

Pascal PicklePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    Have a look at faverolles. Neat looking? I think so, and fair amount of whitish eggs too.

5. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    Quote:I have to disagree here-my Silkies have done extremely well in our cold winters. [​IMG]

6. chickpeaz

chickpeaz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Central PA
    Love the look of the Appenzeller Spitzhauben. Can't vouch for how much the purebreds lay, but our AS roo sired a lot of our mixed flock and they're all quite productive.

7. chickenX

chickenX Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    Long Beach
    i'm sure you'll miss him . . .

8. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    [​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Welllll.... <*clearing throat*> there are bantam versions of many breeds.

Because I am ..... the way I am.... I would get some bantam Leghorn chicks, maybe a couple bantam barred rocks, or barnevelders, and when they don't get as big as the LF versions, just be all surprised at having so many runts. Darn.

Or, if this appeals to you better, get a SINGLE bantam chick amongst the others. Awwww, look, a runt! Then you get your bantam, and no one is the wiser.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by