My Hubby Thihks He Just Saw A Hawk ! !

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cozycrestmom, Sep 7, 2010.

1. cozycrestmom

cozycrestmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Wow,,, my heart dropped into my stomach.. I am sooo worried about them. Our Chicken run isn't finished..
    And my husband just got out of the hospital after being there for a week after major surgery.! He wont be able to do anymore work on it until he is up and ready with no limitations..
    Their only saving grace is the woods. that is where they spend a lot of time.. However, they do graze out in the open.. and there they are.. right out in plain site..
    I guess I am going to have to send out Deputy Dog Cody... !

2. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I have strategically placed several small/med dog houses around the fields where my hens free range in order to give them some cover in case of a hawk attack. Perhaps this might work for you?

3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Darn hawks! I hate them!!!!!!!!! They have been a huge problem for us this year! I can't even let my chickens out of the run to free range unless I'm out there to supervise. You do need to put out some places for them to take cover if they don't have the safety of a covered run. One of our friends uses an old jon boat upside down on some blocks for their cover. Those dog houses and igloos are nice too. Maybe others will have more suggestions for you. Good luck to you.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by