My huge chick.....**pics** and questions??? New questions 4/4

AN

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 22, 2009
Texas-South of DFW area
Ok i am a new chick mommy, so when i went to TS, i will be honest i had no idea what i was getting. So anywhoo, i have one HUGE chick, i think everytime i look in on the chicks it has grown. Is it big because it is just a differant bread or is there something wrong with it? sometimes it sits at the feeder to eat and is a little clumzy. (i am guessing with its size it has to be a roo i mean just look at thoose thighs...lol)
tonight
DSC01838.jpg

top view from tonight (the chick right next to him and over in the corner were purchased 1 week later)
DSC01835.jpg

one week ago
DSC01824.jpg

I posted this last week to help me with gender and type...but this chick just looked normal last week https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=153041

******update
questions******
Well i took hoss out of the brooder this am, and he is in a box of his own,(so i can moniter his food)
my question is now does he have to live alone, because i can't keep putting him with the other chicks for his feeding time, because it will mess up the pecking order....is this right or wrong?
does that even make sense?
Thanks Again

Last edited:
hmmm well the black one looks like a barred rock, the red one looks like a rhode island red or a new hampshire red...those two cute light ones with two stripes on the backs look like my golden buffs as chicks and that white one...man that may be a cornish aka meat bird. I am just not sure. Not sure about the white speckled one or the darker red one with the markings on his back.

If it is a meat bird, they tend to be clumsy. They are normally butchering size at 6 - 8 weeks old.

Last edited:
yes you have yourself a meat bird it will grow super fast eat alot of food and poop more then all your other chicks combined lol, i just picked one up yesterday, also be prepared as this chick wont last like other chickens do they are not meant to live long

Quote:
funny you say that because yesturday when i had the chicks out in their run, i told my hubby i swear all "hoss" does is eat and poop.

Quote:
Seriously, this bird is not meant to live long and will get too large to survive. You will have to process him/her. If you are up to it, okay, but I know I couldn't face doing it. And DH would be of no help in this situation.

If you can't deal with it and don't have any help, I would take the chick back to TS before it gets any bigger and just give it to them, even if they refused to refund you. It will save you a lot of grief and trouble in a couple of months. I feel they should have informed you of what breed you were getting, especially since many people buy the chicks for pets and eggs only.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Genie

TSC did the same thing to me. They told me they were white leghorns. I was told, on here, that you can give them a better life by resticting feed 12 hours a day. Throw him/her in another box for that time. That way it won't grow so large that it outgrows its bones ability to support it and dies. On the other hand, mine gave a ton of meat.

Quote:
Well I can't plame it all on TSC some times some kids pick up one chick look at it and put it back in the wrong brooder
lol.png

Omran.

I have 7 of those fromTSC that I am raising for my unlce. The first 2 I got for me not knowing what they were going to grow up to be. They all are nothing but eating and pooping machines!!!

They are going to be for meat at my uncle's house.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom