My husband calls me "Mother Hen"

Deebsra

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 16, 2012
I just got 27 day old chicks on Thursday morning. I haven't had chicks since I was 10, that was a couple decades ago! We had 26 Rhode Island Reds and 1 Ameracuna. On Friday I saw one RIR was pasted up so I cleaned her, but she didn't seem okay. I moved her into her own box in case it was something else that was contagious but last night I went to give her more water, she was breathing slow, so I picked her up, she looked up at me, peeped three times and stretched out her feet and died. I balled. It was so sad. Just wanted to share. All the rest of the ladies are happy & healthy. "Stripey" our Am. is a boy and he isn't feathering as fast as the girls and gets a little rowdy, but he's the cutie in my pic :)

Last edited:

yea, sometimes some of em just don't make it. it's sad, but thats the way it goes. the most healthy make it through the first couple of weeks and then you'll have an idea of how ur new babies are gonna make out. then it gets better when ya see ur little chickies growin and playing and funnin and frolickin around :)

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Sorry to hear about your chick
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom