My husband cannot find enough employees? Anyone need a job?

LivinNewDreamInND

Songster
10 Years
Mar 22, 2010
We moved to ND 7 months ago when my DH accepted a management promotion. His company is an oilfield service company. He has 10 wireline operator postitions that need to be filled, but ND has a very low unemployment rate and there are very few available workers that fit the company requirements. It is a good job, they pay $14-$16 an hour to start out. They get guaranteed 40hrs a week,lot's of overtime, per diem, job bonus and the company even leases condos that they allow new hires to live in rent free for a couple of months while they work out their move.

There are a couple of catches though. It is North Dakota, so it is cold in the winter (but beautiful during the spring, summer and fall) and mostly rural. The company shop is in Minot ND, it is a decent sized town 40,000-50,000 people with typical shopping and restaurants. The company requires that all employees be able to pass a background check and can have no felonies, due to their work with explosives and licenses with the ATF. They have to be able to pass an extensive DOT physical, as well as the ability to obtain a class B CDL, but the company trains for this, it is not necessary to have one starting out. Also the company cannot insure anyone who has more than 2 speeding tickets or and DUI's in the past 5 years.

My husband thinks I am crazy for wanting to post this on BYC, but I told him that chicken people are good people, so it doesn't hurt to try. If you would like any more information about the job or the area pleas PM me. I will help all I can and I will be able to give you my husbands contact information.

I forgot to add employees have to be at least 21 years old.

edited to add this link to the job description:
https://www.ndworkforceconnection.c...type=zip&city=&idnum=226128&keyword=&site=VOS

Last edited:
I so feel for your situation, I live in Sidney MT and work in ND. He may try posting his job listings with the Montana employment service along with the ND job service. We have a number of people coming here from the western part of the state because of the numerous job opportunties.

Although housing can be a problen, if you are diligent, you can find places to live. And winter here is not as bad as people think!!!
smile.png

Where are you in ND?

Last edited:
The cold climate would be great for me, but I have physical limitations due to MS. I do have family out that way and I'll pass it on. Good luck! I don't know why anyone wouldn't love it there. I think it's beautiful!

Quote:
I spent some time living in MT as a child, and oh yes it is! it was cold beyond belief, and I have no desire to ever go back! Anyway, best of luck with the employee search.

Wish I could...but it's just too darn cold up there for my wife and me. Sorry. Edited. There's an Air Force base at Minot if I'm not mistaken, surely there's personnel who are getting out of the Air Force who would be looking for a job. Has he tried posting an ad in the base newspaper?

Last edited:
If we weren't running our own business here that would be very interesting indeed! Love the north! Funny, here in central CA we have high unemployment but we can't find people who want to work! Some give it a try but once they find out it's actual, physical WORK they run! We have one full time fellow now and after so many failed attempts at a new employee that's what we've decided to keep it at. Everybody wants an easy, sit-down job and big pay. Sad.

Lots of gas line work here in Arkansas, but we are having trouble finding a good ranch hand where I work. They think the job would be "the one" until they realize the work involved. They don't hang around long.

The Atlantic Provinces gets frosty cold and we are rich is oil workers... you should check that out.

I read the line about having to be 21... at first I though their age had to be 21... not must be older than 20!
he.gif
was wondering how the company was getting away with that!

http://www.nscc.ca/learning_programs/programs/default.aspx

this school is rolling with kids doing programs such as what you would be looking for!

Back
Top Bottom