My husband is awesome!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jolyn, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    He got home from work tonight and put a light in my coop with a timer set to it. He is sooooooo good to my girls. [​IMG]

We have it set to go on at six in the morning and go off at 8 at night! The coop looks very cool out there with the lights shinning through the vent!!

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I know! We have a red light in ours for our chicks at night. We built the Chick Chalet ( http://www.chickchalet.com/ ) but with a plywood floor, and when the lights are on, it looks like a giant coop-shaped pumpkin [​IMG]

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:Why do you run the light all day? I set my timer to go on at 4:30 pm til 9 pm.
    It seems like a waste of electricity/$$$ to run lights during the day when its already light [​IMG]

4. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    Awesome, cook him his favorite meal.

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    It's so nice to see an awesome hubby! I knew they were out there somewhere!

6. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    We used to turn our light on at 3 or 4 a.m and it went off when it was around 8 a.m. and the sun was up. I only ran it a little while. Then they went to roost for the night with the natural sunset. No need to run it all day.

7. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    My chickens didn't start going into the coop at night until I put a light in as well. I run mine from 6am to 8pm b/c we covered the windows when we winterized and it is way to dark without it. They seem much happier now as well.

8. Jolyn

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Well i thought because it is mostly gray here in the winter it would be good to have the light on during the day. Most days there isn't a lot of sunshine. Was i wrong in thinking that they should have the light on in the coop on cloudy gray days?

9. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    It looks like it a preference thing. Both your preference as well as theirs. [​IMG]

10. Jolyn

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    I am just hoping to keep a few of them laying this winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by