My husband said I am crazy LOL

StormyMoon

Songster
9 Years
May 1, 2010
Alvarado, TX
I am on my third Batch now third time using the incubator I am still new at this.

I am on day 8 out of curiosity I candled tonight and to my surprised all 31 are wiggling. To candle I used a regular bulb 60 watt, got a small card board box and cut a hole in it the shape of an egg. I put the box over the light then held the egg over it. They were very active and bouncing up and down. Now that its cool in my area I use a fan in my bed room to regulate the air not directly at the incubator but to circulate the temp I am keeping the room at a steady 72 degrees. It seems to be working better. Last hatch I set 24 eggs and only 5 hatched from that we had trouble from heat spikes and I wasn't aware of it until too late. Most of the eggs were just not fertile so it wasn't a really bad thing. The other few had blood rings must have died early on didn't develop very far.

But I didn't see the action that I am seeing in these eggs. I am excited and hoping to have a higher hatch rate this go around.
It has been a lesson for sure... I am using a LG incubator and then moving them to a home made incubator that is a cooler for lock down. I won't candle again at all I saw what I wanted to now we won't open the bator again until the day we put them into lock down.

Please wish me luck....my husband thinks I am nuts, but I want to learn as much about incubating as I possibly can.
I have the temp set at 99.0 if I turn the knob any more I get temps up close to 103. so I am leaving it where it is.
Humidity is kept at 55 % till the last days when I move it to the cooler I put a pan of water with sponge under the protected grill and bring it to 70%.

I found with the egg turner in the LG my chicks hatched out easier and in perfect circles around the top.
When I turned the eggs my self I found my chicks had trouble hatching out and in odd places some at the center of the eggs and others even at the bottom wrong side. They struggled to get out and it made saving them hard. The egg turner was great to use and I am using it again this go around.

Happy Hatching everyone
smile.png

Welcome to the club.

When I pull my bators out come the first week of December, my wife will just start shaking her head and will be asking... "And where are you going to put all of these chickens?"

She KNOWs I'm certifiable chicken nuts.

A friend of mine who has great hatch rates suggested to me instead of removing the egg turner at lock down un plug it when the eggs reach striaght up and down. I may try it this hatch.

Anyone try this before? How did it work for you?

Last edited:
Quote:
I haven't tried that but I think people worry about the chicks falling in areas where there are gaps. Even with just 31 eggs its not totally full yet so there are a few spaces left where accidents could happen. I don't take it out I just move the eggs at lock down to another incubator cause I have other eggs that were added later that will hatch at a different time. It also makes clean up easy if I don't hatch them in the same incubator they had been growing in.

Quote:
Thats funny lol, my husband keeps asking me how I will keep them warm in the winter I said with a light bulb silly...he don't understand it all.

my whole family thinks im crazy...chicken crazy, i wont deny it
lol.png

luckily my OH understands, as hes just as crazy about fish (im almost as crazy about fish to tho) so we let each other indulge a little to heavily in our hobbies (to the tune of 200 chickens on my end and 550 gallons of saltwater reef aquariums on his). no wonder were still living in my 'rents basement
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom