1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My idea about getting a few ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gritsar, Jan 10, 2008.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've only been thinking about it in general terms, ever since I found out that Atwoods will have ducklings in the spring. I thought that while we are building the chicken coop we could make a small, movable structure (I'm thinking A frame style) to house maybe 4 ducks. While they are young, after they have moved out of a brooder and can be outside, I will allow them to roam in the fenced area where my chickens will be allowed to roam and give them access to fresh wading water with a kiddie pool. This is assuming that ducks and brahmas can get along? After they are a bit older I could move their house down to the smaller pond that is within sight of the house and lock them up in their pen at night there. As adults I could do the same, only at the larger pond. Think this would work?
    Atwoods is also going to have keets and goslings and some other poultry. I like the idea of getting some weeder geese instead of ducklings, but geese have always seemed a bit mean to me. I just want something to help the ponds look more "alive". Also hoping that the blue heron that's been visiting the smaller pond all winter will decide to get a mate and raise a family around the pond this spring. [​IMG]

Edited to say: Opps, this belongs under Other Poultry. Sorry, I'm in my very tired but can't sleep mode. Mods, move it if appropriate please? Also, this is kinda the same question I had awhile back, just less general I guess. Now that I know I really can get some if I want.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    My ducks and chickens get along just fine. You sound like you have a good plan. I would love to have a pond in my backyard, I have a swamp and a river, which is nice because of all the wildlife (we have beavers, wild ducks and blue heron) but it is too far away from my house for me to safely let ducks loose around there.

I've had weeder geese (white Chinese) and they were the meanest things, so I wouldn't recomend them, but I'm sure different people have had different experiences with them.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks Angie for the imput. I'm looking into ways to encourage the heron to stay as well. My SO tells me that before the neighboring farmer passed away (last spring) he would shoot every blue heron he saw...I don't like to speak ill of the dead, but the word butthead comes to mind....because he claimed they ate all his fish! Nowadays if I see anyone so much as look at this heron the wrong way they are going to have a very angry southern woman on their hands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by