my idea for measuring internal temp

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by michiganlarry, Apr 14, 2009.

1. michiganlarry

michiganlarry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    Last night I took one of those plastic easter eggs that snaps together and filled it with bb's from my sons bb guns. Had to cut a little notch in the side for the wire and put the end of the indoor/outdoor temp probe in the center of the bb's. Then I taped the outside with electrical tape so it can't accidentally open and placed it in the turner. Took almost 2 hours for it to come up to temp and now the internal temp of my "probe egg" holds within .8 degrees. It ranges from 99.5 to 100.3. And it was free!

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    I dont ahve any plastic eggs [​IMG]

3. michiganlarry

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    Well I had them. Thought it was a pretty good idea!

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:I think that was a good idea, too..

I will bet that as time goes on the temp will swing even less..

can you remove the probe without losing any BB 's??

I would think that a small jar with a lid like a small baby food jar would also work,, huh??
    .........jimnwisc..........

5. michiganlarry

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    The temp swing is still running around 1 degree. Not to bad. I am pretty sure that I will want a bowl under it when I take out the probe. There is a LOT of bbs in there! I used black tape and taped it up pretty good. When the incubation is over I will probably just put it all in the incubator until next time.

I think anything that has some thermo mass would work great. I was kind of freaking out about the temp swings until I realized that it was air temp and that is going to swing. Some thermostats are buffered and wont show the air temp swings as much. This is an acurite from wally world.

6. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    the only issue i have with this method is the different thermal mass of the bb's and the eggs. i would prefer a closer comparison such as water. i think the bb's would hold heat longer than an egg and not display temp swings properly.

7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:I thought that the reason for the thermal mass was to NOT show the temp swings, but to show more of the average temp..

8. michiganlarry

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    I'm not a scientist. Maybe someone on here would have a better answer on that. I just figured it was better than just measuring air temp. Can't seem to find one of those wiggler things.

9. sangel4you

sangel4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    plus wouldnt the black eletrical tape draw more heat to the BB's thereby not giving you a true internal reading of the eggs?

10. michiganlarry

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    Again. Not sure. Would think the color would only matter if you were using a light for a heat source. With the heat tube in a hovabator I can't imagine it would matter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by