My Ideal chicks are here! Pics!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BrahmaMama, Mar 14, 2008.

1. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    I got a call this morning at about 9:30 from the Sioux Falls post office (nearest bigger city) last year they were picked up at the Lennox post office-about 8 miles away. the SF one is about 15 miles away. Anyway, I asked why they didn't go to Lennox, and he said the truck to Lennox had already left, and if I wanted to I could wait until tomorrow and pick them up there...umm, no thank you, I will be right there!

Opened the box there, and saw one dead chickie [​IMG] I am amazed at how little bantams are! I have never had them before. A couple of the porcelains looked pretty weak. I held one cupped in my hand, against my chest the whole drive home. I wonder if people that passed me on the interstate were trying to figure out just why I was holding my hand there [​IMG]

My very first ducklings were also there; everyone else looked ok. I brought them straight home, got them in the brooder-switched my brooder tanks, so the light was over theirs (my three week olds I hatched have to wait for me to go outside and get the other light, lol!)-don't worry, it's warm in the basement with the corn stove going. Had to drop the light a bit, and got everyone in with their beaks dipped in the water. I took some of the weaker ones-especially the d'uccles, and gave them a little bit of the sugar water with a syringe-just basically squeezed a drop from the tip, onto the end of their beak, and it kind of "seeped" in.

I just had pine shavings in the bottom (did it with just that last year, and they were fine) but the ducklings almost went crazy for it, wanting to eat it [​IMG] so I had to put some papertowels down quick. I hope they didn't injest to much [​IMG] And I put water down right away, but took it away for an hour-what I think I read about ducklings...though the Ideal paperwork didn't say anything about that. I hope they didn't get too much water at first.

Ok, so here is what I received:

4 porcelain D'uccle (ordered 3, 1 extra)
    4 golden neck D'uccle (ordered 3, 1 extra)
    6 buff laced Polish (1 died)
    4 white crested blue Polish
    3 Khaki Campbell ducklings-1 male, two female
    2 Blue Swedish ducklings-females

[​IMG]

two of the ducklings
    [​IMG]

2. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Georgous ducklings! [​IMG]

3. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Careful with the pine shavings. I lost a duckling last year because a piece got caught in his throat and he died. Terry gave me so very advise she told me to use old sheets in the duckling brooder i did that it was easy to clean up just squirted them off and threw them in the washer. I have several o lhand now for when my chickies arrive.

4. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I didn't have problems with my duckling...Now him teaching the chicks to swim in the water...thats a different story [​IMG]

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Awe, cuties! Enjoy them!

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Awww... I love D'uccles! We call them little bulldogs, lol. If you tap your finger on the ground they try to attack it. haha.. [​IMG]

They are all so cute! [​IMG] Good luck! [​IMG]

7. BrahmaMama

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Quote:Thank you Stormhorse [​IMG]

Ooh, thanks Micki, I will keep an eye on them...don't have any old sheets right now [​IMG]

Storm, I'm just waiting for them to try climbing in the waterer, lol!

Thank you Wynette and BBB [​IMG]

8. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry about the one chickie Brahma. They are so cute. Good luck with them.

9. BrahmaMama

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Quote:Thank you CRW, they are such precious little lives [​IMG]

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    WHAT?!?!?! No brahmas??????? Have you gone over to the dark side?
    j/k cute babies! Enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by