My ikea detolf brooder

Laughingduck81

Chirping
Dec 14, 2020
I have 13 chicks and my plastic tote was too small for them. I decided to look around and see what I had in the shed. I bought this used ikea glass shelf a while back to make a hamster cage out of, but never used it. So glad to have found another use! Will this be big enough for 13 chicks until they are around 4 weeks old? It is 64”x14.5”, so just over 6sq ft of floor space.

Attachments

• 180E43B7-34E9-4AD0-A24B-2E6AEE550162.jpeg
    180E43B7-34E9-4AD0-A24B-2E6AEE550162.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 29
Great upcycling! Though the chicks will quickly outgrow it. They will need close to 2sq feet each by the time they are 6 weeks old. Even if you say 1sq foot per chick it is still too small for 13 chicks. 😊
Do you know what age I can move them outdoors? I just have that yellow brooder for heat, although would buy a heat lamp if necessary. I was only going to have 6 chicks, but then saw these Ameraucanas and had to have them... 😂

I have 13 chicks and my plastic tote was too small for them. I decided to look around and see what I had in the shed. I bought this used ikea glass shelf a while back to make a hamster cage out of, but never used it. So glad to have found another use! Will this be big enough for 13 chicks until they are around 4 weeks old? It is 64”x14.5”, so just over 6sq ft of floor space.
Looking at it, I'd say no. I think when they get to 4 weeks old they need about 1 square foot per bird. 1-3 weeks about 1/2 sq foot per bird.

Do you know what age I can move them outdoors? I just have that yellow brooder for heat, although would buy a heat lamp if necessary. I was only going to have 6 chicks, but then saw these Ameraucanas and had to have them... 😂
You have a common affliction know as chicken math!🤣
Depends on where you live, but most chicks can move outside at 6 weeks when they are fully feathered. Many people on BYC brood their chicks outside with a heat source, though I have not done so.
Great articles on BYC on different methods for brooding chicks. 😊

Do you know what age I can move them outdoors?
Depends on your temperatures and how aggressive you are with getting them off heat and exposed to outside temperatures.

I brood outdoors, the chicks are exposed to day/night temperature cycles right away and naturally wean themselves off heat. I close up the brooder at around 4 weeks.

Other option is to brood using the coop itself if there's no chickens in there already, and if electricity can be run out, but that's not possible in all cases.

In the meantime I'd encourage you to look for a larger brooder, such as large cardboard boxes like an appliance box, as they're really going to outgrow this fast.

I would say yes, you can move them outside. I did so last year (I had to move them) and it was below freezing. Just have a heating plate for them as well. I placed the plate inside a large cardboard box laying on the side (the opening is on the side, facing forward). the flaps open and the one hanging down. It keeps the heat in there for them yet they can come out if they feel like it. These little guys feathered out faster than any other chicks I had in the coop afterwards.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom