1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Incubation Room

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dannypritchett01, Jul 22, 2011.

1. dannypritchett01

dannypritchett01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Marietta, SC
    Hello All,

I have been bit by the Poultry & Gamefowl bug for many years. Ive been on the old Backyard chickens site, PYA, The-Coop, and many many other forums so some of you may know me, some of you may not. My name is Danny Pritchett. Long story short I was wanting to share my incubation room project with you. Maybe some of you would have a better idea than I would. For 10+ years now we have been raising poultry and gamefowl. Selling chicks, hatching eggs, and adults locally as well as shipping them. I have a Factory Made 12x16 Utility building out in my backyard that has been wired for electricity but has no insulation anywhere. I am thinking of insulating it and turning it into my incubation room. At the current moment I have a 1502 Incubator, 1500 Hatcher, and 1550 Incubator (Electronic Models) as well as a 1202 Wafer Thermostat Sportsmans.

I am wanting this room to be my incubation room and office. I have plenty of space for it. I also store feed, oyster shells, grit, and other things in the building for them. I would like to add a window unit to the building as the temperatures I am sure are a few degrees above the outside temperature. I had a friend that said the sportsmans are so accurate that it wouldnt matter. But if the temperatures rise above 100 in the building wouldnt the inside of the incubator gradually heat up too. Maybe the heating element wouldnt turn on but it couldnt cool it off either. So regardless of what he says I am going to put a window unit in the building. The question is with it being a 12x16 building not sure about height maybe 8 feet tall at most, what BTU of air condition should I use in the building?

Now that were on the discussion one of my incubators has a Auto humidity tank attatched to it, the others I manually fill. I am thinking about getting some T fittings and the other neccessary fittings and make the single bucket supply all of my incubators. I also have a greenhouse sitting beside the building. So I was thinking of running my 3/4pvc pipe over to the building and hooking up a water source in the building just to attatch a float valve system to the bucket to keep it constantly filled. Whats your insights on that?

This is the last question I will ask on this single post, but What temperatures and humidities work best for you with your sportsman incubators and hatchers. I was told to operate the hatcher a degree less in temperature with higher humidity. Yet all of my electronic models are Factory Set on 3. If this was the case wouldnt the Incubators be set to 3 and the Hatcher to 2. With mine set on 3 my temperature is 100.2. If its set on 2 its 99.2. So Any feedback is greatful. Ive gotta go to work in a little bit, [​IMG]

I will be on later. Hope everyones still hatching

2. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Well I would say your thinking on the Heat from the building would be correct. Now BTU for an A/C unit we just recently bought a 12k BTU and depending on insulation factors etc etc it cools from 415 to 745 SQ.

3. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    Your lucky my Incubator is taking over the laundry room, don't forget about Venalation

4. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    and here I was imagining a walk-in incubator!

[​IMG]

5. njduck

njduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    neighbor has walk in incubators, 5 or 6 of them. in a pole barn. when it gets to hot they open both garage doors and use fans to move the air. mind you these incubators are monitored 24/7 and by computer. they hatch out over 130,000 from March to july. right now it is over a 100 degrees out not sure if they have anything in the incubators.
    haveing a pole barn to do it makes life alot easier.

6. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    that's cool, I'd love to see pictures, but I know, it's not your setup.

Q: What's a pole barn?

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Here is our incubator/brooder house.

[​IMG]

We also store feed in it. Wired for electricity, window a/c unit, water ran to it. There is no insulation, but it is under trees and the a/c unit keeps the building at 79-80 degrees. We plan to insulate and wall it in this winter when temps drop.

8. dannypritchett01

dannypritchett01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Marietta, SC
    Wow. I love the building. I have been wanting to do this for quiet sometime. I someday will get walkins but right now I dont have enough eggs for that.

9. njduck

njduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Quote:sheetmetal sides with 4x4 or 6x6 construction, roof trusses

10. ChickenCrazed

ChickenCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    A pole barn is a method of constuction...Instead of a concrete footer you dig holes down below the frost line and set treated poles in the ground (we set them in concrete)...Level them up and then run 2x4's horizontally across the poles...You can finish the outside walls anyway you want...We used plywood and vinyl siding...Hope that helps!...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by