My incubator chicks won't leave me alone!

dianneS

Songster
Mar 16, 2009
South Central PA
My incubator chicks have been out in the coop for a few weeks now. They are integrating into the flock pretty well. I've finally opened the door and allowed everyone to free range, on warmer days. The problem is, these chicks keep following me everywhere! I have to stay out of sight or they are under my feet all the time! I have to open the coop door and run around the back of the coop so they don't see me! They would follow me all the way out to the manure pile and back if I didn't put them back in the coop. I'm afraid I'll step on them, or a horse will step on them, or they'll get run over by my wheelbarrow!

I can't believe that they are so attached to me, I didn't handle them that much? Do they think I'm mom or something? They're driving me crazy!

i had two of my babies do that when i took them outside for their first time last summer. i put them over in a grassy area and then walked over to my garden to do some weeding. the next thing i remember is that i have 2 sweet little fluffy butts following a foot behind me picking through the weeds and watching me whenever i stopped pulling stuff. if i bent down low enough they would jump on me to be picked up!
lol.png

My two Rhodies are like that. Scarlett follows me around, demanding to be picked up. I cannot leave the coop door open, or she'll be out in a flash and underfoot. Ruby likes to run over my shoulder and down my back to jump off my tush when I lean into the coop to get eggs.

You are the Almighty Source of Food. I have 21 doing all that right now. It's cute, until I need to get them out of the way so I can work!
roll.png
They "sort of" outgrow it.

My orpingtons and dels are like that! After I let them out in the morning I have to sneak around the yard in hopes that they don't spot me or else them come a-runnin'. Once they spot me they start running, flying, and screaming all the way to me, and then they try to trip me up. I wonder what the neighbors think when they spoke me walking with 30 chickens in tow? It doesn't help that I'm the only one who feeds them and gives them treats....I love chickens!

Back
Top Bottom