My incubator doesn't seem to be holding uniform temps

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rebecca100, Jan 19, 2009.

1. rebecca100

rebecca100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    Arkansas
    I have a little giant still air incubator. It is my second one. I have put two settings in it with limited results. I noticed both times though that there would be a wide margin in temps with the thermometer on the wire on one side it may read 102 or higher and on the other side it may only read 97 both times with the therm. under the element. I know still air inc. are notorious for not holding uniform temps, but to that extent? My other wasn't like that. Maybe the element is bad on one side? Does anyone else have that problem with still air incubators, if so, then how can i fix it? I haven't put anymore eggs in it until I figure out whats wrong. Thanks!![​IMG]

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

That sounds about righht for a still air. You might be able to buy a fan kit to change it to a forced air. Good luck [​IMG]

3. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    I did not have that problem with mine the temp was constant once I added a 1/4 inch knob on the tiny shaft. It makes small adjustments much easier. Also with small batches you should use closed container of water to act as a buffer. It will collect and release heat as needed. Proper humidity also helps with the conduction of the heat in the bator. I cut a large sponge in half and kept it moist. You should be rotating the location of eggs in the bator also when turning if turning by hand. Even with a auto turner eggs should be rotated to diff location. You also may get temps off if you have a draft on one side of bator.

My only problem with the LG is I dislike the way the heat and humidity are lost whenever opening to turn eggs. I have a homemade small rv fridge bator that opens cabinet style and I turn with a egg carton so it is quick and I lose little heat and humidity.

4. rebecca100

rebecca100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    Arkansas
    I like the water container idea, I guess you would use it like you would in a greenhouse. Trap and release the heat slowly. I do want to build my own incubator, this one just gets on my nerves. I do try to reposition the eggs, I usually just turn the bottom 1/4 turn several times a day since I have a turner.

5. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    With a still air you don't get uniform temps like you do with a fan kit. The fan circulates the air so that the temp is the same throughtout.
    if I have a small batch I fill a drinking bottle with water and make sure the lid is on tight. Lay in the bator to fill up some volume.

Good luck

6. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Rebecca, if using a turner if you can find ceramic eggs reasonable the ceramic will do the same thing as a water container/bottle. Come Easter I am going to buy some plastic eggs and fill them with sand. I have some ping pong balls I may try to fill them with sand. PC fans are cheap and you probably have a used power supply around from maybe a old wireless phone charger or something similar. I have a whole drawer full of them. My homemade bator has a fan, with the water and once the temp was stable it did not seem necessary in the LG.

7. RIR&Guineas

RIR&Guineas New Egg

Jan 19, 2009
    Lincolnton, Georgia
    Try covering your Incubator with a blanket large enough to drape over the sides. We use 2 Little Giants and 4 GQF Incubators and have to cover all of them. We normally have a 95% hatch rate.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by