my incubator fell over

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by splashofben, Sep 20, 2016.

1. splashofben

splashofben New Egg

Sep 20, 2016
    Hi! So my mother is raising chickens. She has two chickens that are laying, and one of them is laying fertile eggs .
    Well, today, my cat knocked over the incubator with a baby chick still inside while I'm home alone.
    All of the eggs are broken, and I'm 13, so seeing a bunch of bloody dead eggs is very troubling .I've taken the baby out of the incubator, and put it on a blanket with a heat lamp laying over it .It's moving a bit, but it's not chirping or really doing anything .It seems out of it, and I don't know what to do. I've already had to kill two baby guineas that the eggs sat way too long for, but I don't want to have to cull this one too .Any advice?

2. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Oh Honey, I'm so sorry!

I would just let the chick rest for a bit and see if doesn't feel better...Do you know how old the chick is? Like when it hatched?

3. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    If the chick is not bleeding, and it can stand or move around a bit, put some water in a small lid or dish and dip it's beak just a little. Maybe sprinkle some feed around in front of it.

If the chick is unable or unwilling to move, just let it rest. There may be nothing you can do for it, but just wait.

4. splashofben

splashofben New Egg

Sep 20, 2016
    It just hatched around noon, and it's not bleeding at all, it's just not standing; the leg might be broken .All but two of the eggs we threw away, and kept some because the chickens inside were chirping. Hq

5. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Ok, if they're still chirping (or even if they're not), you might put them back in the bator (if it can maintain some heat for them) and let them just rest and hopefully finish hatching. The one that has hatched, can you hold it so the legs are hanging down - so you can see them? Do you see anything that looks like a broken leg? The chick may just be in shock, hard to know for sure without me seeing the accident.

(Oh, your very welcome, glad to help!)

6. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    If a leg looks broken, maybe we can stabilize it with toothpicks and tape.... I've never tried that, but I did make booties for several chicks that had curled toes...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by