My incubator stinks now....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Acre of Blessings, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    What do I do? I ordered some eggs that were shipped and some of them were damaged during shipping and I disposed of them but the ones that, I thought, were still intact cracked in the bator. 2 of them so far. I took them out and disposed of them immediately but now my bator stinks. [​IMG]
    How do I clean it? I have eggs in it getting ready to hatch and the others that were not damaged, i hope. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2008
  2. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    I would just leave well enough alone....you should have seen the condition that my eggs under my broody hen were in. I swear she used poop for increased humidity control!

3. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Oh, my.

When I opened the bator to turn the eggs my hubby was nearby and he bout gagged [​IMG] and he told me I better find a way to get that smell out.

What do I do? How do I get rid of the smell while having eggs in there?

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Work quickly. Wrap the eggs in a heated towel. Within 10 min or less scrub out your bator with hot soapy water. Rinse well. Get it back together and the eggs back in it. Good luck.

5. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Thanks MissPrissy, but one more question, I have some eggs due to hatch on the 9th and others to hatch on the 19th, will cleaning this in any way, shape or form bother the hatch rate or will it delay the hatch?

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Not if you work quickly and get those eggs out and back in the bator in under 10 mins or so. Work quick. Move the eggs carefully.

7. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    O.K. I will try. Let you know how it goes.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Are you sure you don't have any more bad eggs in there? even if they aren't cracked they can be rotten and smell it up.

9. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I smelled all of the eggs after I found the cracked one and they all smelt fine. But there could be another on eon the verge of going bad. Gonna go check real quick.

After this, I am not sure I will ever order eggs through the mail again. Out of 13 eggs I have 4 left [​IMG] , and that's if they are any good. [​IMG]

10. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    can you put some odorzout in a small dish inside the bator. Every time you turn the eggs throw out the old and put in new odorzout. The queen of clean recommends it for stinky microwaves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by