My incubator temp a ways off?

Anethema

Chirping
Sep 1, 2017
Northern BC, Canada
Hey guys!

I got a Magicfly forced air auto turn incubator from amazon recently.

I threw some eggs I thought were fertilized in there, though I later figured out some weren't.

Anyways, following the directions, I got 1 little barred rock pullet out of 9 eggs. Now a good few weren't fertilized (in one coop my only roo is a bantam cochin, so he is a bit small to cover the buffs that live in there) but still I def should have gotten more.

Anyways, I tried to check if temp was maybe the issue.

I tried to calibrate by putting the temp lead in a ice water bath and got -2.5c.

Weew that is a ways off!

So I grabbed a medical thermometer and put it in water I played with until it was exactly 37.5 on the medical thermometer. I got a reading of 35.

This seems a way off, but does it seem correct that I should put my incubator set to 35 to try the next hatch?

Thanks!

Having looked at the incubator you purchased I’m afraid it is one of those that are notoriously bad at giving the wrong readings. Personally I would ignore what the incubator temp reading is saying and trust a known to be correct one that you add. I dont have that incubator but do have one that is way off and only trust the thermometer that I add to it.

Good luck with your future hatches.

Ya. Well trying to calibrate it is how I got to the 2.5 number.

It seems the ice bath method is one way, and should read very near 0. Mine read -2.5

Then tried closer to its operating range, and it did read 2.5 low there too as compared to a medical thermometer. But then, No real idea if the medical one is accurate,but the two together seem to say its close.

Not sure? Ill try a batch on 35 and see what it does.

Calibrating a medical thermometer: Put it in your mouth (or whatever orifice it was last used in). If it reads 37C/98.6F plus or minus 0.1 ish I would be comfortable assuming it is accurate.

Back
Top Bottom