My Incubator turned off in the night! Will my eggs still hatch??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by charlottiee, Sep 19, 2016.

1. charlottiee

charlottiee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2016
    Warwickshire, UK
    Hi everyone,
    So this morning I came to turn my eggs and realized my incubator had turned off in the night, i'm guessing the eggs would not of had the heat they need for around 12 hours but i'm not sure when the incubator turned off. I was wondering if they're still going to hatch? I have buff orpington eggs which are 5 days in to incubation and aylesbury duck eggs which are 13 days into incubation. Any help or advise would be appreciated! :(
    Many Thanks

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I wouldn't give up hope. I've heard many stories of power outtages and accidental unpluggings that still resulted in decent hatchings. A lot depends on how cold they got during which point of incubation and for how long. The best you can do is warm them back up and give them a candle tonight to see if you can detect any life.

The Brinsea site has some info on power loss and temps: http://www.brinsea.com/Articles/Advice/PowerOff.aspx

3. charlottiee

charlottiee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2016
    Warwickshire, UK
    Thanks so much! I candled them earlier and they were still alive luckily! I've never had problems with my incubator before so was unsure how many would make it!

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That's great news! Hope they keep going for you!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by