my incubator went dry...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BornInSpain, Apr 30, 2011.

1. BornInSpain

BornInSpain Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Fort Kent
    I just checked the water on my genesis incubator and it was totally dry, do you thin that harmed the eggs? I also have two 17 day old eggs that I have not seen any movement when I candled them since yesterday, are they still alive? This is my firat time hatching. I have 6 Ameraucana eggs, 7 silkies, 8 copper marans, and 6 blue oripngtons

2. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    what was your humidity level inside? As long as it doesnt get to low they should be fine.

3. clayb226

clayb226 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    What day did you find out you were dry, and what did the humidity get down to?? I have been reading up on the dry incubation method, where it incubates around 25% for the first 18 days, and about 50% I think for the last three. Do not quote me on the %'s, I would have to look it back up. I did not do the dry method this time, may try it next time though, I have heard good things about it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  4. BornInSpain

BornInSpain Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Fort Kent
    Well, I don't have a hydrometer. I thought that with the egg turner and the incubator I had all I needed. but since reading in here, I need to buy one, I know...[​IMG] they should include one with the incubators

5. clayb226

clayb226 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:Yeah, this site is great, I would think you should be fine. Good Luck.

6. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I've had it happened and didn't seem to effect the hatch, my hatches were in the 70% area.

7. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    my hubby added a fan to my hovabator and it has been much drier. i've had to add a lot more water this time. i'm hoping they will do ok. lock down is monday. good luck with yours

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by