My incubator will not shut off!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ms.FuzzyButts, May 28, 2010.

1. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    The problem is that it is empty. As in, no eggs to incubate. I just can't make myself unplug it. I keep thinking I will find some eggs that I just have to have. My first hatch this year was from a BYC egg swap. While I had those incubating, I found some silkie eggs. YEP, my silkies needed more coop buddies. So, I threw them in to do a staggered hatch. Then a week and a half into it. I found some more silkie eggs. Had to build a cooler bator real fast. Then, yet again, more silkie eggs. So I bought another bator. So I now have 3 bators and 2 are still running wide open. So as of a few hours ago I have , you guessed it, more silkie eggs being shipped on Tuesday from BYC'er oldtimegator. So that takes care of one bator. I know better than to ask if anyone else here has this problem, right? Please tell me it isn't just me.. [​IMG]

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Perhaps this get you to turn them off. They are warm, humid, and there are somewhere some germs (bacteria, fungi, you name it) in there. They incubate, multiply and make the machine sick. So it is better to keep the machine nice and dry and turned off. It only takes 4 hours to get the machine nice and warm and ready for eggs. See it this way the eggs should rest before going into the machine. Enough time to warm it up. So that was my word, you incu-addict. [​IMG]
    Aren't we all, [​IMG]
    Katharina

3. katharinad

PS: My current duckling made it out of the incubator today. I'm tempted going to the store and try those free ranging organic eggs in my incubator. The one store has 9 different brands! Crazy. I hear other's that have tried Trader Joe eggs, and succeeded.
    Ohhhh, I'm such an incu-addict myself. [​IMG]
    Katharina

4. Ms.FuzzyButts

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Congrats!! I love my two ducklings. I didn't hatch them though. Go figure!

5. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Are you saying that after my quail hatch and I hatch out more Sicilian Buttercups and then more quail, etc, etc, that this makes me an incu-addict.
    I didn't know there was a proper word for it.
    Now I do. I'm about to become an incu-addict. Though I do unplug, clean out, air it out, collect more eggs then plug it back in and start all over again.

And I thought I was just a fluffy butt addict. [​IMG] How fun.

6. katharinad

I haven't given my new incubator a break yet. It has been in use since it arrived. First Quails, then ducks, then more ducks, now perhaps chicken. Want some goose eggs, but that is somewhat to late in the season. That is what happens when you get a new toy to play with. The old one is ok, but not as much fun. [​IMG]
    Katharina
    BTW I did make up the name incu-addict. Could have been incu-holic, but that may be to strong. [​IMG]
    Katharina

7. Ms.FuzzyButts

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    I personally like hatchoholic.. Yes the holic part may be strong, but so is the addiction.. Muh-wahahaha!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by