My Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chelsieb, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Chelsieb

Chelsieb Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2016
    I have a (Northern I think) Square yellow top plastic incubator that is new.There are raised areas in the botton to hold water.Am I supposed to put "some" water in all the sections?I have put a sponge in the bottom that is wet,but it keeps drying out.I am just not sure if I have to put water in all those areas in bottom? Also,what is the best humidity at hatching time? One more question...I have several nearly grown Cornish Cross chickens,will they breed and lay so I can reproduce? Will they come out as big,or be smaller? Thanks so much!!

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    How old are the cornish cross? They are not designed to reproduce naturally and are only bred to essentially live to slaughter age.

Everyone has differing opinions on humidity. I do not generally add any water until hatch as long as I can maintain 20% humidity. Others incubate at 40-55% humidity. Do you have a hygrometer so you know what the humidity is in there?

3. Chelsieb

Chelsieb Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2016
    The cornish x are 4 months old. It has a digital read out on humidity. One thing that I am unsure of is am I supposed to put a little water in all the little slots in the bottom of the tray? I have put a wet sponge in with a few sprinkles of water in the other areas,but in about 12 hours I am down to 20-30% humidity. I just recently read about what size the air pocket should be,and right now,I feel I may have too little an air pocket left. Are due to hatch in 3 days. You can tell imma NEWBEE!!! lolol I sure thank you for responding!

4. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD

Do you mean the air pocket is too small? That means the humidity has been too high. The humidity readings on the incubator are not to be trusted. However, if it has actually been 20-30% during incubation, that is fine.

5. Molpet

Molpet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2015
    N. Illinois
    the cx hens can breed.. mine laid a small egg every 3 days
    the roos chest gets in the way to breed

6. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Yes, that is what I mean by they aren't able to reproduce naturally. They are artificially inseminated (which really is not that hard to do).

7. Molpet

Molpet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2015
    N. Illinois
    I just bred her to my mix roo.. some people use a ranger.. nice meaty offspring

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by